PRE-WAR MG ARCHIVES REGISTER
Matthew Magilton - Editor
 
Please forward your old car photos and any known history to.
Mathew Magilton mbmagilton@msn.com

MGs in Competition: Page 1    Page 2.    Page 3   Historic period photos:  Page 4    Page 5   Page 6

Page 3
Here is the Lanes Motors MG team before they set off for Phillip Island to compete in the 1934 New Years Day 100 Mile race. Standing behind is Robert Lane whose MG agency covered Victoria, Tasmania and the Riverina. These cars were imported without bodies and then had rugged steel framed bodies fitted by Charlie Aspinall of Armadale. From left to right we have:
a. Norm Putt in F1317 reg 1.187. Finished 6th.
b. Les Murphy in J4112 reg 65.434. Finished 7th.
c. Ces Warren in (J3) J3766 reg 11.527. Finished outside the time limit but not before posting a 750cc lap record.
d. Les Jennings in L0546 reg 8.551. Finished 5th.
Photo and research from Tim Jackson.
You are now standing on the outside of "Young and Jackson's" corner on the old Phillip Island circuit and bracing yourself for any flying stones. It is New Years Day 1934 and three members of the Lanes Motors MG team are screaming past in this 100 mile race. Note how the riding mechanics are throwing their weight behind the drivers as the cars bounce across the rutted track. These Aspinall bodies were fitted with a handle behind the driver for this purpose. Les Jennings in L0546 leads Ces Warren in J3766 and Les Murphy in J4112. 
Alan Bail collection.
Here is George Notley at the wheel of J2 (J4212). It is hard to believe this is the Colin Keefer car in the Phillip Island line up. Underneath all that bling lies the Aspinall body, to which doors and mudguards have been added, not to mention trumpet horns, spotlights and special badging. The huge brake drums are actually fake wheel discs; a 'claytons' Magnette? George struggled up Rob Roy in 1947 for a time of 53 seconds. Soon after, the original engine was replaced by a Ford unit. Later restored by Walter and Matthew Magilton and now owned by Ron Killcullen in W.A.
Magilton collection.
Resting between runs at Rob Roy in 1948 is the Feltham Magna Special. Wally Feltham was a used car and truck dealer on Nepean Hwy Victoria with a passion for motorsport. Two years earlier he unfortunately inverted his P type (1424) at Bathurst and in 1948 purchased L0403 from Bib Stilwell, which I believe may be this car (or parts thereof). The Feltham Special was towed behind the SA saloon that we can see in the background, but unfortunately fell off its trailer on the way to Bathurst in 1950 and was sold to W.J.Harrison in 1954. The SA may be that now owned by Brian Smyth if the rare rear bumper is a clue.
Alan Bail collection
This unique saloon body was built for Mrs J. Manton who purchased the rolling chassis from Lanes Motors in February 1935. NA 0444 had engine number 725 and was registered 83.391 until the mid 1940's when re-registered FJ.937. Later owners included Frank Walker c1940, Les Everitt c1941 and Steve Woolnough who ran a tyre business in the 1950s. Malcolm Robertson acquired the car as a basket case from Ed Ison before selling to John Hunting who built a very smart dark red NE replica on the chassis.
Rare for Australia is this factory bodied L type which was photographed in 1950 when owned by Graeme Barr of Camberwell. On the bonnet is painted "Isle of Wright MG Magna", the meaning of which is unknown to me (does anybody know?). This car, chassis L 2069 came to Victoria from NSW in 1944 when it was registered GL.377. In 1945 it was re-registered HH.759 and GXZ.659 in 1958. Graham competed at Rob Roy in 1949 climbing the hill in 60.66 seconds but this car will be needing a restoration before she competes again.
Alan Bail collection
Ripping around Tin Shed corner at Rob Roy in 1947 is Bill Prowse in his J3 3763. This car was modified by the factory to almost J4 specifications and often mistaken for a J4. Previous owners include George Martin and Derry George and later owned by Rod Jackson when the engine disintergrated at Fisherman's Bend in 1949. Victorian registration numbers include: 87.338 '34, AG.589 '39, EM.865 '45, UU.770 '51 and GXY.240 in 1959. This is one of the photos used by Leon Sims in his excellent book on the history of Rob Roy.
Bill Prowse is still competing at Rob Roy over 60 years later.
Race ready and sitting on the sand at Phillip Island prior to the Centenary 300 being run by the ARDC is PA 0595. This car was imported by Lanes Motors with a rare ENV gearbox and fitted with an Aspinall body. Campbell Graham of Warrnambool took delivery from Lanes in September 1934 and competed in the Victorian Cenenary G.P. in October, but prior to this PA 0595 was driven by Bill Thompson (head of Lanes MG Dept) in the Phillip Island Winter 100 coming home 7th as part of the Lanes team. At the Centenary 300 Campbell was part of the Lanes team entry with Roy McKay and the ultimate winner Les Murphy, all in white P types. Tragically Campbell and his riding mechanic Alfred Peters were killed when their car rolled at The Needles Eye, a narrow part of the straight approaching Hell corner on New Years Day 1935. After many years of storage P 0595 was bought dismantled from Peter Swan by Ian George who commenced a detailed restoration which was completed when ownership passed to Graeme Jackson.
David Smallacombe collection.
In April 1934 the VJCC held a day of grass track racing at Nar Nar Goon. The "racing" was quite informal and no places were awarded because proper racing was banned on the Australian mainland untill 1936 when the first race was held at Benalla. Phillip Island was not considered part of the mainland. Here Jim Skinner is screaming around in J2 4211 which was imported by Lanes Motors and sold to Britannia Motors with seven other J2's, all having Aspinall bodies. The 'riding mechanic' is Colin Keefer (who owned J2 4212). Australian owners include: Wally Johnston '51, John Cochran '60's, Brian McLellan early '70's, Ron Wilson late '70's and now in New Zealand owned by Geoff Broadhead. This is the same car as GX.571 in the other photo.
Magilton Collection. 
In the shade at the pits on the Lobethal circuit Les Murphy listens carefully to his engine before the Second South Australian Grand Prix held on the 3rd of January 1938. Les is in his pointed tail car, bodied by Charlie Aspinall PA 1427 and next to him is Dick Souters PA with an open-back Aspinall body which was driven by Arthur Beasley. Murphy achieved 7th place in this 100 mile event followed by 3rd place in the next race, a 50 mile handicap.
Leon Sims Collection

MGs in Competition: Page 1    Page 2.    Page 3   Historic period photos:  Page 4    Page 5   Page 6