Matthew Magilton - Editor
Please forward your old car photos and any known history to.
Mathew Magilton firstname.lastname@example.org
MGs in Competition: Page 1 Page 2. Page 3 Historic period photos: Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
|Historic MG Photos|
|In the back yard of his parents Adelaide home is our own Registrar Tony Sloan. Tony was still a student when he sold his Singer 9 to purchase TA 2956 from Brian Silcock for 250 pounds in 1958. Over the next 12 months Tony brought the car back to top condition before selling it for a tidy profit to purchase a Sunbeam-Talbot 90. Now half a century later (sorry Tony) he would love to know what has become of TA 2956. Does anyone recall this red car after 1959?|
|Funny how you don't see K3s parked in the streets these days! This is K3 chassis # K3752 which was used to reconnoitre the course of the 1933 Italian Mille Miglia for the MG team. She came to Australia in 1949 and was bought by young John Sawyer in 1952. John was apprenticed to Otto Stone (K3016) and after fitting a drivers door, used the car on a daily basis. Now owned by Jim Nilsson. Registration numbers include: JB.1269 (UK), BJ.371 '49 and GJP.820 '55. For a detailed history of all the Australian K3s as well as other notable MGs, see 'Historic Racing Cars in Australia' By John Blanden. - John Passmore Collection|
It is now 1940 and Jimmy Lord and
Bob Hollingshead are enjoying the company of their girlfriends
knowing that these salad days will not last much longer. 276.460 is
Lord's Aspinall bodied P type, possibly PA0490. 193.219 is a J3,
J3756 owned by Hollingshead who was a mechanic with Kellow-Fawkner.
This car has a history which includes the LeMans 24 Hour race and
record breaking at Montlhery. The J3 is now owned by Walter
|This is NA chassis # 0550 which was imported by Lanes Motors and sold to J.Clarke in November 1934 with a local copy of an English Magnette body. Past owners include Bill Lockington, Walter Magilton (1964) and Brian Jennings. Brian is the son of Les Jennings who competed in four Australian Grands Prix in the early 1930s often driving an Aspinal bodiel L type. When Brian restored the NA he had a new 'Aspinal style' body based on his fathers car fitted. Now 0550 is actively raced by Peter Kerr. Previous rego numbers include 185.664 (1934), YW.547 (1952) and HYC.387 (1964). - Magilton Collection.|
This is Syd
Wansey's SA photographed in 1939, registration NSW HA.356. Syd was
the owner of the Newcastle Morning Herald. Does anybody know if this
Jeff Newey Collection.
|Here is Alan Male at the wheel of his PA chassis 0484 in about 1944. This car was imported by Lanes Motors and fitted with an Aspinal body for R.J.Randell in 1935. At some time the car moved to Tasmania before returning to Victoria in 1942 to be registered DP.648, in 1943 FD.849 and in 1959 HBY.740. Later doors were fitted, as was the case with many Aspinal bodies. She is now owned by Ken Catlow. I wonder if 0484 has an early competition history? - Male Family Collection.|
|Here is a very smartly turned out NA Magnette, chassis 0445. This appears to be a four seater and may be an Australian body. She was imported by Lanes Motors and sold to Noel Taylor in 1934. Noel competed in at least one trial (C.O.R. Trial 1935) before the car moved on to Don Gorringe of Hobart. At some time the chassis retuned to Melbourne before being sold to Alan Herring in W.A. Any more info on this one would be much appreciated. - Magilton Collection.|
Here is Wally
Johnston's J2 #4211 in 1950, still with its Aspinal body, including
the rather heavy windscreen that Charlie Aspinal fitted to his J
types. This car was imported by Lanes Motors and sold through
Britannia Motors to Jim Skinner whose record of competition
included; the Phillip Island "Winter 100" 1934 (4th); the LCCA
Mountain Trial 1934 (Team prize); the A.G.P. Phillip Island 1935 (DNF).
Rego numbers include: 130.582 ('34), 221.245 ('36), BN.254 ('40),
GX.571 ('45), and GTR.384 ('57) . Now owned by Geoff Broadhead of
Morrie Chambers collection.
Barrie Robertson's NA Magnette at his home in Brighton in 1959.
Chassis number 0391 has a body made by Waddington of Parramatta,
NSW. Early history is unknown but by 1947 it had the Victorian
registration JW.994. Following owners included Alan Giratty and Col
Brown who sold the car in 1972 as a dismantled project to Ed Ison.
She now resides with Robert Smith who looks forward to completeing
Barrie Robertson collection.
What an original
K3 dash should look like: This is Lyster Jackson's K3016 in the
1930's, possibly the 1936 AGP at Victor Harbour. In the centre is a
St Christopher badge (patron saint of travellers) and mounted at the
top left is a lap counter under a pit signal chart.
Collection of Alan Griffin who was a friend of the late Lyster Jackson
is a J2 chassis J4417 which was imported by Lanes Motors in December
1933 and bodied with this unusual little salonette body, possibly by
Martin and King of Malvern, Melbourne. Nothing is known of the early
history of this car until it was purchased by Alan Bail in 1952. It
is now owned by Don Smyth but the body has been lost.
Registration numbers include: 75.869 (1934), ED.132 ('42), YO.712
('52), and GFT.780 ('54).
Alan Bail Collection.
|This photo turned up in an opportunity shop and was forwarded to me by Tony Sloan, which is uncanny because there is a connection with his car. The car shown is P0989 and judging by the wide running boards, may have an Australian body. The early history is unknown, but may have been imported to Australia with P0990 belonging to John Byrne in Qld. By 1956 P0989 was in Victoria registered GOC.152 and after engine 1315 was replaced with a Wolseley unit, re-registered HKB.990 in 1961. In 1971 Wes Southgate had an accident in his P type P1299 and acquired P0989 as a parts car to replace most of the rolling chassis in his rebuild. The chassis (P1299) and other parts were sold to Tony to become the foundations of his car.|
Here is the 'office' of the second
K3 prototype, K3752. This was used as a practice car for the 1933
Mille Miglia and went on to compete at such venues as Brooklands,
Prescott Hill Climb and the Brighton Speed Trials before coming to
Australia in 1949. This photo was taken in the early 1950's when it
was registered BJ.371 and probably when owned by John Sawyer in
Melbourne. Now owned by Jim Nilsson.
John Passmore collection.