Averitt Express is a privately owned transportation and supply chain management company based in Cookeville, Tennessee. The company was founded as Livingston Merchant's Co-op in 1958 and incorporated as Averitt Express in 1969. Averitt is owned by Gary Sasser, who purchased the company from its original owner, Thurman Averitt, in October 1971 at the age of 20. At the time of Sasser's purchase, Averitt operated 3 trucks and 5 trailers. As of 2015, the company claims to be "one of the nation's leading freight transportation and supply chain management providers".
Averitt Express runs primarily in 18 states in the Southeast United States, including Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Louisiana. They also have single terminals in California, Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Illinois.
Averitt Express provides the following services:
- Climate controlled
- Cross-border (Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands)
- Expedited/time critical
- International (ocean/air, Asia-Memphis Express)
- Less than truckload shipping (LTL) (regional, nationwide, distribution/consolidation)
- Retail services (general retail, retail distribution)
- Transportation management
- Truckload (dry van, flatbed, truckload brokerage)
- Air charter
- Value-added services (national call center)
- Supply chain
- Integrated services
Averitt Cares for Kids is a non-profit organization that is funded by associates of Averitt Express and is managed by the company.associated with St. Jude's
Averitt Express has won many quality awards for environmental responsibility, publication service, and safety, as well as many customer service awards from companies including Walmart, Dollar General, General Motors, Jack Daniels, etc.
- "Company Overview of Averitt Express, Inc". Bloomberg. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "The Averitt Story". averittexpress.com. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Our Facilities". averittexpress.com. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Services". Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Averitt Cares for Kids". averittexpress.com. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Quality Awards". averittexpress.com. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Making EDI Pay Off: The Averitt Express Experience". Production and inventory management journal. pp. 6–11. (Preview page).
- Lambert, Russell D. (2003-07-25). Executive's Guide to the Wireless Workforce. p. 153. ISBN 9780471459897.
- "Transportation & Distribution". January 2003. pp. 27–28.
- "Going Canadian: Averitt deal opens avenues to the north". Nashville Business Journal.
- Plunkett, Jack W. (March 2009). Plunkett's Transportation, Supply Chain & Logistics Industry Almanac 2009. ISBN 9781593921422.