Built in 1963, Zolder hosted the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix on 10 separate occasions in the 1970s and 1980s, as well as the 1980 Belgian motorcycle Grand Prix. F1 moved to Zolder in 1973 and with the exception of a race at Nivelles-Baulers in 1974, Zolder was the location of the Belgian Grand Prix until 1982. That year, Canadian driver Gilles Villeneuve was killed during qualifying at the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix. Villeneuve's Ferrari 126C2 collided at speed with the March of Jochen Mass. The Ferrari was torn up in the accident and when rolling, Villeneuve was thrown from the car.
After Villeneuve's death, the Belgian Grand Prix was held at Spa-Francorchamps in 1983, before returning to Zolder one final time in 1984. Fittingly, Ferrari driver Michele Alboreto won the race carrying Villeneuve's #27 on his car. Since 1985, the Belgian Grand Prix has permanently moved to Spa.
Zolder has also been used for cycling events including the UCI Road World Championships twice in 1969 and 2002 and the UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships in 1970, 2002 and 2016. The latter saw the first confirmed use of mechanical doping when Femke Van den Driessche was found to have a secret motor inside her bike. Since 2009, Circuit Zolder has hosted a cyclo-cross race in December for the World Cup. The circuit hosted the UCI BMX World Championships in 2015. In 2019 and for the first time ever the UCI BMX World Championships will return to Circuit Zolder.
In the beginning of 2006, the track underwent safety adaptations. In 2007, the track hosted a Champ Car World Series Grand Prix, and a round of the FIA GT Championship. The track was venue of a round of the World Series by Renault championship from 2003 to 2006, and replaced Zandvoort as site for the Masters of Formula 3 in 2007 and 2008. Zolder was featured on the car programme Top Gear in 2008. In the episode, the show's British hosts competed against their German counterparts from D MOTOR. Zolder hosted also the FIA WTCC Race of Belgium in 2010 and 2011. The last race they drove in 2011 was won by Rob Huff in a Chevrolet and Gabriele Tarquini in a SEAT. The WTCC then disappeared from the Belgian circuits until in 2014 the circus returned to Spa.
At this time, mainly the Blancpain Sprint Series and the BRCC national championship hosted a race in Zolder. The 24 Hours of Zolder endurance event is also held as a stand-alone event around the end of August or the beginning of September. NASCAR Whelen Euro Series have hosted their final race of the season in Zolder since 2015.
The lap records at the Circuit Zolder are listed as:
In general Circuit Zolder has a noise limit of 96dbA, which is measured at 2 points along the track. One is just after turn 4 (Bianchi) and the second one is between turn 7 and 8. These can be recognised by blue poles. During international testdays and most racing weekends, the noise limits are removed.
- March: BRCC Terlamen's Cup
- June: IDM Superbike
- June: Dutch Supercar Challenge
- August: 24 Hours of Zolder, Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters
- September: FIA European Truck Racing Championship
- September: 24 hours iLumen
- October: NASCAR Whelen Euro Series
- Belgian Grand Prix
- Belgian Champ Car Grand Prix (2007)
- Blancpain Sprint Series
- BOSS GP
- European Touring Car Cup
- FIA WTCC Race of Belgium
- Masters of Formula 3 (2007-2008)
- W Series (2019)
- Zolder Historic Superprix
- 1981 Tour de France
- 2002 UCI Road World Championships
- 2002 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships
- 2016 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships
- 2019 UCI BMX World Championships
- Grand Prix Erik De Vlaeminck
- Vinton, Nathaniel (1 February 2016). "Cyclist Femke Van den Driessche caught with hidden motor inside bike during race". New York Daily News. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- "UCI BMX World Championships". Circuit Zolder. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "NASCAR Whelen Euro Series: What's New In 2015". whelen.com. Whelen. 20 April 2015. Archived from the original on 5 August 2019. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- Khorounzhiy, Valentin (12 January 2019). "DTM abandons night-race format at Misano round for 2019". autosport.com. Autosport. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "2006 Formula Renault 3.5 Zolder Session Facts". Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "2020 Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters Zolder 2 Session Facts". Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "FIA GT Championship Zolder 2009". Retrieved 5 April 2021.
- "2021 Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters Zolder Session Facts". Retrieved 8 August 2021.
- "2006 Formula Renault 2.0 Euro Zolder Session Facts". Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- "FIA GT Championship Zolder 2008". Retrieved 5 April 2021.
- "DTM Trophy Results". Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- "2020 NASCAR GP Belgium Round 2 Results". Retrieved 10 May 2021.
- "1988 F3000 Zolder Session Facts". Retrieved 10 May 2021.
- "FIA GT Championship Zolder 2001". Retrieved 5 April 2021.
- "International Sports Racing Series Zolder 1997". Retrieved 5 April 2021.
- "1994 Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft Zolder Session Facts". Retrieved 5 April 2021.