The Lancia D50 was a Formula One racing car designed by Vittorio Jano for Lancia in 1954. The car's design made use of many innovative features, such as the use of the engine as a stressed chassis member, the off-centre positioning of the engine to allow a lower overall height, and pannier fuel cells for better weight distribution and aerodynamics. Six of the cars were built, and two of them are displayed in Italian museums.
The D50 made its race debut toward the end of the 1954 Formula One season in the hands of two-time and reigning World Champion, Italian driver Alberto Ascari. In its very first event Ascari took both pole position in qualifying and fastest race lap, although his car's clutch failed after only ten laps. Following Ascari's death, and in increasing financial trouble, the Lancia family sold their controlling share in the Lancia company, and the assets of Scuderia Lancia were given to Scuderia Ferrari. Ferrari continued to develop the car, although they removed many of Jano's most innovative designs, and the car was rebadged as the "Lancia-Ferrari D50" and later simply the "Ferrari D50". Juan Manuel Fangio won the 1956 World Championship of Drivers with this car modified by Ferrari. During their competition lifespan D50s were entered into 14 World Championship Formula One Grands Prix, winning five.
Complete Formula One World Championship results
(key) (results in bold indicate pole position, results in italics indicate fastest lap)
1 Shared drive
- David, D. "Lancia D50". Grand Prix History. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Lancia D50". Ultimatecarpage.com. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Ferrari Lancia D50". Ultimatecarpage.com. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Car Model: Lancia D50". www.ChicaneF1.com. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- "1954 Lancia D50". conceptcarz.com. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "1957 Ferrari 801 – Images, Specifications and Information". Ultimatecarpage.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- MacDonough, E. "Recreating Lancia's Great Past... The Lancia D50". VeolceToday.com. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- Maclean, A. (2006). "Labour of Love". Cars for the Connoisseur. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- Push-starting a Lancia D50[permanent dead link]. www.streetfire.net (video)
|Small family car||Ardea||Appia||Delta I|
|Large family car||Aprilia||Fulvia||Beta|
|Executive car||Artena||Flavia I||2000||Gamma|
|Coupé||Appia Coupé/GTE/Sport||Fulvia Coupé/Sport|
|Flavia Coupé/Sport||2000 Coupé||Gamma Coupé|
|Aurelia B20||Flaminia Coupé/Sport/GT|
|Convertible||Appia Convertibile||Beta Spider|
|Aurelia B24||Flaminia Convertibile||Flavia Convertibile|
|Sports car||Beta Montecarlo|
|Rally car||Fulvia HF||Stratos HF|
|Racing car||D20 D23 D24 D25||D50||Montecarlo Turbo|