C3D Toolkit is a geometric modeling kit originally developed by ASCON Group, now by C3D Labs, using C++ and written in Visual Studio. C3D Toolkit responsible for constructing and editing geometric models. It can be licensed by other companies for use in their 3D computer graphics software products. The most widely known software in which C3D Toolkit is typically used are computer aided design (CAD), computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), and computer-aided engineering (CAE) systems.
- C3D Modeler constructs geometric models, generates flat projections of models, performs triangulations, calculates the inertial characteristics of models, and determines whether collisions occur between the elements of models;
- C3D Solver makes connections between the elements of geometric models, and considers the geometric constraints of models being edited;
- C3D B-Shaper converts polygonal models to boundary representation (B-rep) bodies;
- C3D Vision controls the quality of rendering for 3D models using mathematical apparatus and software, and the workstation hardware;
- C3D Converter reads and writes geometric models in a variety of standard exchange formats.
Nikolai Golovanov is a graduate of the Mechanical Engineering department of Bauman Moscow State Technical University as a designer of space launch vehicles. Upon his graduation, he began with the Kolomna Engineering Design bureau, which at the time employed the future founders of ASCON, Alexander Golikov and Tatiana Yankina. While at the bureau, Dr Golovanov developed software for analyzing the strength and stability of shell structures.
In 1989, Alexander Golikov and TatianaYankina left Kolomna to start up ASCON as a private company. Although they began with just an electronic drawing board, even then they were already conceiving the idea of three-dimensional parametric modeling. This radical concept eventually changed flat drawings into three-dimensional models. The ASCON founders shared their ideas with Nikolai Golovanov, and in 1996 he moved to take up his current position with ASCON. Today he continues to develop algorithms in C3D Toolkit.
- Modeling 3D solids
- Performing Boolean operations
- Creating thin-walled solids
- Filleting and chamfering parts
- Modeling sheetmetal parts
- Designing with direct modeling
- Modeling 3D surfaces
- Modeling 3D wireframe objects
- Surface triangulation
- Performing geometric calculations
- Casting planar projections
- Creating section views
- Calculating mass inertia properties
- Collision detection
- STEP incl. PMI (protocols AP203, AP214, AP242)
- Parasolid X_T, X_B (read v.29.0/write v.27.0)
- ACIS SAT (read v.22.0/write v.4.0, 7.0, 10.0)
- IGES (read v.5.3/write v.5.3)
- Configures levels of detail (LOD)
- Applies shaders and widgets
- Uses 3D assembly feature tree managers
- Controls static graphics and dynamic scenes
- Sets anti-aliasing levels
- Culls invisible elements of scenes
- Speeds up visual computing through hardware acceleration
- Section planes
- Interactive 3D controls (manipulators)
- 2D constraint solver for 2D drawings and 3D sketches
- 3D constraint solver for assemblies and kinematic analyses
The C3D Solver supports the following constraint types:
- Coincidence (available in 2D and 3D)
- Align points (2D)
- Angle (2D and 3D)
- Coaxiality (3D)
- Distance (2D and 3D)
- Equal lengths (2D)
- Equal radii (2D)
- Fix geometry (2D and 3D)
- Fix length and direction (2D)
- Incidence (2D)
- Parallelism (2D and 3D)
- Perpendicularity (2D and 3D)
- Radius (2D)
- Tangency (2D and 3D)
- MS Visual Studio 2017
- MS Visual Studio 2015
- MS Visual Studio 2013
- MS Visual Studio 2012
- MS Visual Studio 2010
- MS Visual Studio 2008
- Clang (for Mac OS)
- GCC (for Linux)
- NDK (for Android)
The supported programming languages include:
Since 2013 - the date the company started issuing a license for the toolkit -, several companies have adopted C3D software components for their products, users include:
- nanoCAD and nanoCAD Mechanica use the C3D Modeler, C3D Solver, and C3D Converter components
- KOMPAS-3D flexible 3D modeling system
- KOMPAS:24 for Android
- TECHTRAN uses C3D to import 3D models in various formats, view them, prepare blanks for turning CNCs from 3D models of future parts, and retrieve geometric data from 3D models.
- LEDAS Geometry Comparison (LGC) technology to compare 3D models and pinpoint all of the differences between them
- CAE system PASS/EQUIP for comprehensive structural pressure vessels analysis
- ESPRIT Extra CAD is based on C3D kernel
- Furniture Design CAD K3-Furniture
- Furniture Design CAD K3-Mebel
- Quick CADCAM
- Furniture Design CAD BAZIS System 
- 3D AEC CAD software platform Renga Architecture
- BIM system Renga Structure for structural design buildings and facilities
- Staircon application for the timber staircase industry
- Dietech India develops software to configure mold bases for various die casting machines
- LOGOS software for simulation with supercomputers
- PRISMA (Russian analogue of MCNP) 
- EE Boost Acoustic VR
- EE Boost Electromagnetics
- MKA Steel application for a single-story steel structure design
- Delta Design software for the automated design of electronic devices
- Altium Designer software package for printed circuit board, field-programmable gate array and embedded software design
- Quickfield finite element analysis software package
- Open BIM Systems from CYPE Software
- CAD standards
- Computer-aided technologies
- Computer-aided design
- Computer-aided manufacturing
- Computer-aided engineering
- Geometric modeling kernel
- Geometric modeling
- Solid modeling
- Boundary representation
- Maher, Kathleen (June 6, 2013). "Does the CAD World Need Another Geometry Kernel?". Graphically Speaking. GraphicSpeak.
- Wong, Kenneth (May 14, 2014). "A New Geometric Kernel from Russia". Desktop Engineering. Peerless Media, LLC. Archived from the original on April 13, 2016. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Open Design Alliance and C3D Labs announce C3D Modeler for Teigha". Automation.com. December 8, 2016.
- Frausto-Robledo, Anthony (July 18, 2019). "C3d Labs Unveils B-Shaper for AEC and BIM Developers". Architosh. FRAUSTO LLC.
- Jeff, Rowe (April 3, 2014). "LEDAS Geometry Comparison Technology Embeds ASCON C3D Kernel". MCADCafe. Internet Business Systems, Inc.
- Grabowski, Ralph (December 4, 2012). "ASCON interviews Nikolai Golovanov, head of C3D kernel development". WorldCAD Access. upFront.eZine Publishing, Ltd.
- Grabowski, Ralph (April 11, 2017). "C3D Labs at COFES". UpFront.eZine. upFront.eZine Publishing, Ltd.
- Alba, Michael (July 3, 2018). "What's New in C3D's Geometric and Parametric Kernels". engineering.com. engineering.com, Inc.
- "Renga Architecture's Colorful New Release". Renga Software. April 4, 2016.
- Shura, Collinson (September 1, 2016). "C3D Labs Launches New Visualizer For Engineering Software Developers". Skolkovo Foundation.
- Nikolay Golovanov (2014). Geometric Modeling: The mathematics of shapes. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. ISBN 978-1497473195.
- "Geometric Kernel for 2D and 3D Software Developers" (PDF). C3D Labs, LLC. 2015.
- "nanoCAD Plus Enhanced With C3D Modeler, Solver, Converter". Isicad. LEDAS Ltd. August 5, 2016.
- "NIP-Informatica Licenses Geometric Kernel from C3D Labs". CIMdata. 2014. Archived from the original on 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2017-04-11.
- Ralph, Grabowski (2014). "About Version 15 of the C3D Kernel". upFront.eZine.
- Nalawade, Sachin (August 1, 2017). "LEDAS Contributes to Renga Software". DailyCADCAM.
- "New investment in system development". Elecosoft. 2016.
- "Russia's Leader in Nuclear Power Licenses C3D Kernel". ASCON. 2015.
- Kandiev, Y. Z.; Kashaeva, E. A.; Khatuntsev, K. E.; Kuropatenko, E. S.; Lobanova, L. V.; Lukin, G. N.; Malakhov, A. A.; Malyshkin, G. N.; Modestov, D. G.; Mukhamadiev, R. F.; Orlov, V. G.; Samarin, S. I.; Serova, E. V.; Spirina, S. G.; Vakhonina, T. V.; Voronina, N. A.; Zatsepin, O. V. (June 2014). Caruge, D; Calvin, C; Diop, C.M; Malvagi, F; Trama, J.-C (eds.). "PRIZMA Status". Joint International Conference on Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications + Monte Carlo. EDP Sciences: 06019. Bibcode:2014snam.conf06019K. doi:10.1051/snamc/201406019. ISBN 978-2-7598-1269-1.
- "EE Boost Chooses C3D's Toolkit for Simulation Software". ASCON. 2017.
- Grabowski, Ralph (September 12, 2017). "ODA Teigha Conference, Day 2". WorldCAD Access. upFront.eZine Publishing, Ltd.
- Nalawade, Sachin (June 21, 2018). "Tera Analysis Implements C3D Toolkit for FEA Simulation Software". DailyCADCAM.
- "Mubitek Selects C3D Toolkit for ÇİZEN". engineering.com, Inc. 2019.
- "CYPE incorpora la tecnología de modelado geométrico de C3D Labs para agilizar la integración de productos de fabricantes en Open BIM Systems". CYPE. 2019.
- "VR Concept Selects С3D Toolkit for 3D Virtual Prototyping Tools". engineering.com, Inc. 2019.
- Grabowski, Ralph (September 7, 2015). "C3D kernel for Teigha". WorldCAD Access. upFront.eZine Publishing, Ltd.
- "The Present and Future of DWG". ENGINEERING. 2015.
- "Welcome to the New C3D Toolkit 2017 from C3D Labs". C3D Labs, LLC. 2017-06-06.
- "C3D Viewer". C3D Labs, LLC.