DesignSpark Mechanical enables users to solid model in a 3D environment and create files for use with 3D printers. Using the approach, it allows for unlimited and frequent design changes using an intuitive set of tools. This free 3D CAD software is offered as a payment free download, but requires a one-time registration with DesignSpark.com to receive the latest community news and product promotions.
If you are a mechanical engineer who wants to create engineering drawings you will also need DesignSpark Mechanical Drawing, which is not free.
DesignSpark Mechanical is based on the SpaceClaim Engineer application and is the product of a collaboration between RS Components and SpaceClaim Corporation. An introductory brochure is available here. The goal to offer a free 3D CAD software with many features of high-end software is to engage with those who perhaps do not require or who cannot afford premium branded 3D CAD software, such as Engineering Students or small businesses.
DesignSpark Mechanical supports the idea of Rapid Prototyping through SpaceClaim's 3D direct modelling methodology using the Pull, Move, Fill and Combine tools that allow a user to interact with digital 3D objects like modelling with clay, all available in the free 3D CAD version.
3D CAD library
Paid add-on modules are available and provide functionality for the free 3D CAD DesignSpark Mechanical software, such as full support of two popular 3D file formats (Export and import file type: STEP & IGES) and an associative drawing environment, adding many functions such as cosmetic Threading, GD&T, Annotations and more.
- Comparison of 3D computer graphics software
- Comparison of computer-aided design editors
- DesignSpark PCB
- "DesignSpark Mechanical menu languages, see support article".
- "3D model programme from RS Components exceeds one million downloads". TraceParts English Version.
- "DesignSpark Mechanical Software". rs-online.com. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "Diseñar en 3D con DesignSpark Mechanical". Automática e instrumentación. No. 454, 2013. pages 36–37. ISSN 0213-3113 (in Spanish)
- "推出3D设计软件 DesignSpark Mechanical". Global Electronics China. No. 10. 2013. ISSN 1006-7604 (in Chinese)
- "DesignSpark Mechanical upgraded with optional modules". New Electronics. ISSN 0047-9624
- "48-Hour 3D Design Challenge With DesignSpark Mechanical". EE Times. ISSN 0192-1541
- "DesignSpark Mechanical: It's Not Your Grandmother's MCAD!". EE Times. ISSN 0192-1541
- "DesignSpark Mechanical gets 3D print slicing in v4 upgraded". ElectronicsWeekly.com.
- "DesignSpark Mechanical User Design Challenge". Engineering.com.
- "DesignSpark Mechanical Power Hack". Engineering.com.
- "Профессиональная работ ав САПР DesignSpark PCB" (English title: Professional work CAD DesignSpark PCB.) (in Russian)