LCEVC specifies an enhancement layer which, when combined with a base video encoded with a separate codec, produces an enhanced video stream. The base layer is decodable by a hardware decoder, and the enhancement layer is suitable for software processing implementation with sustainable power consumption. The enhancement layer provides improved features to existing codecs, such as compression capability extension and lower encoding/decoding complexity, for live streaming or broadcasting applications.
LCEVC leverages a base video codec (e.g., AVC, HEVC, VP9, AV1, EVC or VVC) and employs an efficient low-complexity enhancement that adds up to two layers of encoded residuals, along with normative signalled up-sampling methods, that correct artefacts produced by the base video codec and add detail and sharpness for the final output video.
LCEVC can be implemented with software updates for encoders and decoders, and was designed to leverage available hardware acceleration for graphics processing.
At IBC 2019 a preliminary implementation for encoding and decoding the forthcoming MPEG-5 Part 2 LCEVC was demonstrated.
October 2020 at the 132nd MPEG meeting, LCEVC is completed reaching Final Draft stage.
- October 2018: Call for Proposals
- March 2019: Evaluation of the proposals received and first draft of the standard
- October 2019: Ballot issued for Committee Draft
- April 2020: Ballot issued for Draft International Standard
- October 2020: Completion of final standard
- MPEG-5 Part 1 / Essential Video Coding / EVC
- H.266 / MPEG-I Part 3 / Versatile Video Coding / VVC
- Layered coding - a general technique of similar approach
- Scalable Video Coding - MPEG-4 / AVC specific technique of similar approach
- "MPEG-5 – Leonardo Chiariglione". leonardo.chiariglione.org.
- "Low Complexity Enhancement Video Coding | MPEG". mpeg.chiariglione.org.
- "How to Encode with LCEVC". Streaming Media Magazine. 12 March 2020.
- Trafford-Jones, Russell (9 July 2020). "Video: Outlook on the future codec landscape". The Broadcast Knowledge.
- "V-Nova". ATSC : NextGen TV.
- Pennington, Adrian. "2020: Crunch time for codecs". IBC.
- "Inside MPEG's Ambitious Plan to Launch 3 Video Codecs in 2020". Streaming Media Magazine. 15 October 2019.
- "Requirements for Low Complexity Video Coding Enhancements | MPEG". mpeg.chiariglione.org.
- "Call for Proposals for Low Complexity Video Coding Enhancements | MPEG". mpeg.chiariglione.org.
- "Introducing MPEG-5 Part 2 LCEVC" (PDF). itu.int.
- "LC EVC standard celebrates Final Draft". rethinkresearch.biz.
- MPEG Meeting132 Minutes