Nidec Corporation (日本電産株式会社, Nihon Densan Kabushiki-gaisha) is a Japanese manufacturer of electric motors. Their products are found in hard-disk drives, electric appliances, automobiles and commercial and manufacturing equipment. The company has the largest global market share for the tiny spindle motors that power hard-disk drives.
The two product groups with the largest sales are hard-disk drive motors and automotive products with 16% and 22% of sales, respectively.
As of 2017, the company has 296 subsidiaries companies located across Japan, Asia, Europe and the Americas. Nidec is listed on the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the TOPIX 100 stock market index.
|1973||July||Shigenobu Nagamori, current Chairman of the board, President & CEO, established Nippon Densan Corporation (now Nidec Corporation) in Nishikyo-ku, Kyoto with a capital of 20 million yen.|
|1974||October||Opened a sales agent in the U.S. Relocated its head office to Omiya, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto.|
|1975||April||Launched full-scale production of brushless DC motors.|
|1976||April||Established Nidec America Corp, a locally incorporated company.|
|1979||October||Started production of spindle motors for 8-inch hard disk device.|
|1984||February||Acquired the axial-flow fan business from American company Torin Corporation, and established the locally incorporated company Nidec Torin Corporation in America. Started production of spindle motors for 3.5-inch hard disk device.|
|1988||October||The company listed its stock on the second section of the Osaka Stock Exchange, and the Kyoto Stock Exchange.|
|1990||August||Established Nidec Electronics (Thailand) Co., Ltd., a locally incorporated company.|
|1992||February||Established Nidec (Dalian) Ltd., a locally incorporated company in China.|
|1993||April||Established Nidec Electronics GmbH, a locally incorporated company in Germany.|
|1995||December||Established Nidec Philippines Corp., a locally incorporated company.|
|1997||December||Established Nidec Tosok (Vietnam) Co., Ltd. through a joint investment with Tosok Corp.|
|1998||February||Established P.T. Nidec Indonesia, a locally incorporated company.[Sep]Listed on the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Listed on the first section of the Osaka Stock Exchange.
|1999||December||Established Nidec Korea Corp., a locally incorporated company.|
|2001||September||Listed on the New York Stock Exchange.|
|2003||March||The building for the Head Office and Central Technical Laboratory was completed in Minami-ku, Kyoto|
|2006||December||Established Nidec Motors & Actuators by acquiring the motor and actuator business of Valeo S.A., a French company.|
|2010||January||Nidec Techno Motor Holdings Corporation acquired the home appliance motor business of Appliances Components, an Italian home appliance manufacturer. Started Nidec Sole Motor Corporation S.R.L.[Dec]Established Nidec India Private Limited as its sales subsidiary in India.|
|2012||March||Established SC Wado Component (Cambodia) Co., Ltd. as the first operating base in Cambodia.|
- Nidec ASI. In 2012 Nidec acquired Ansaldo Sistemi Industriali S.p.A. which became Nidec ASI. Since 2012 Nidec ASI has been involved in comprehensive drive technology. As a part of the Nidec Group, the core business of Nidec ASI S.p.A includes energy, marine, metals, oil & Gas and general industry (cement, water treatment, rubber and plastic, materials handling, glass, ceramics, paper and ropeway). Since 2014, Giovanni Barra has been CEO of Nidec ASI
- Nidec Leroy-Somer. On January 31, 2017, Nidec acquired Leroy-Somer from Emerson Electric which became Nidec Leroy-Somer Holding.
- Nidec Global Appliance Compressors GmbH. On July 31, 2017, Nidec acquired Secop GmbH, a German hermetic compressor manufacturer from Aurelius Equity Group, expanding further into the refrigeration market. Since April 28, 2018, Nidec has entered into an agreement with Whirlpool Corporation to acquire the refrigeration compressor business of Embraco.
- "Company Profile". Nidec. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Nidec Corporation Company Profile". Hoovers. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Nidec Corporation Snapshot". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Nidec Corporation CSR Report (2017)" (PDF). Nidec. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "Nidec Corporation Stock Data". Japan Exchange Group. Archived from the original on February 3, 2015. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "The Future of Technology: The Big Trends Ahead and Our Ranking of the Top 100 Info Tech Companies". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2005. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "The World's Most Innovative Companies". Forbes. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Nidec ASI official web site
- "Nidec-Asi, il nuovo ad è Barra: Gemme vicepresidente". The Medi Telegraph. May 20, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- "Nidec Completes Acquisition of Leroy-Somer". Emerson Electric. February 1, 2017. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- Nidec Leroy-Somer Holding
- Corporation, Nidec. "Nidec Completes Acquisition of Secop Group (Secop Holding GmbH and Other 3 Entities), a German Compressor Manufacturer". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Nidec to Acquire Whirlpool Corporation's Compressor Business - NASDAQ.com". NASDAQ.com. Retrieved 2018-06-06.