Onshape is a computer-aided design (CAD) software system, delivered over the Internet via a Software as a Service (SAAS) model. It makes extensive use of cloud computing, with compute-intensive processing and rendering performed on Internet-based servers, and users are able to interact with the system via a web browser or the iOS and Android apps.
Onshape allows teams to collaborate on a single shared design, the same way multiple writers can work together editing a shared document via cloud services. It is primarily focused on mechanical CAD (MCAD) and is used for product and machinery design across many industries, including consumer electronics, mechanical machinery, medical devices, 3D printing, machine parts, and industrial equipment.
Onshape upgrades are released directly to the web interface, and the software does not require maintenance work from the user.
Onshape was developed by a company with the same name. Founded in 2012, Onshape is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts (USA), with offices in Singapore and Pune, India. Its leadership team includes several engineers and executives who originated SolidWorks, a popular 3D CAD program that runs on Windows computers. Onshape’s co-founders include two former SolidWorks CEOs, Jon Hirschtick and John McEleney.
- In November 2012, former SolidWorks CEOs Jon Hirschtick and John McEleney led a team of six co-founders launching Belmont Technology, a placeholder name that was later changed to Onshape. The company’s first round of funding was $9 million from North Bridge Venture Partners and Commonwealth Capital.
- In March 2015, Onshape released the public beta version of its cloud CAD software, after pre-production testing with more than a thousand CAD professionals in 52 countries. Included in the beta launch was Onshape for iPhone.
- In August 2015, the company released its Onshape for Android app.
- In December 2015, Onshape launched its full commercial release. The company also launched the Onshape App Store, offering CAM, simulation, rendering and other cloud-based engineering tools. The Onshape App Store was launched with 24 developer partners.
- In April 2016, Onshape introduced its Education Plan, with a free version of Onshape Professional geared for college students and educators.
- In May 2016, Onshape released FeatureScript, a new open source (MIT licensed) programming language for creating and customizing CAD features.
- In October 2019, Onshape agreed to be acquired by PTC
Onshape was a venture-backed company with investments from firms including Andreessen Horowitz, Commonwealth Capital Ventures, New Enterprise Associates (NEA) and North Bridge Venture Partners. Total venture funding amounted to $169 million.
- Danny Crichton (March 9, 2015). "After 3 Years And $64M In Seed Funding, Onshape Launches The Mother Of All Products". TechCrunch.
- Scott Kirsner (March 6, 2015). "Can 50-somethings rekindle that old startup magic?". The Boston Globe.
- Dale Dougherty (May 6, 2015). "MakerCon Speaker: Jon Hirschtick on Web-Based CAD Tool, Onshape". MAKE Magazine.
- "Onshape CAD Features". Onshape.com. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- Jean Tilmany (April 2016). "CAD-in-the-Cloud moves closer to real-time sharing". Design World.
- "Contact Page". Onshape.com. Retrieved September 30, 2016.
- Erin Griffith (March 6, 2015). "Exclusive: SolidWorks vets raise $64 million for Onshape". Fortune.
- "PTC Acquires Onshape". ptc.com. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- "PTC Completes Acquisition of Onshape". Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- "PTC's Onshape Acquisition: Did SOLIDWORKS Founder Jon Hirschtick Have to Sell?". www.engineering.com. Retrieved 2020-06-29.
- Scott Kirsner (December 6, 2012). "Ex-SolidWorks execs reunite to take another swing at product design software, with $9 million in funding". The Boston Globe.
- "Introducing Onshape Beta (March 9, 2015)". Onshape.com. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- "Introducing Onshape for Android (August 11, 2015)". Onshape.com. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- "Onshape Launches Commercial Release (December 14, 2015)". Onshape.com. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- "Onshape Announces App Store Offering Simulation, CAM, Rendering & More (December 14, 2015)". Onshape.com. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- "Onshape Introduces Education Plan (April 7, 2016)". Onshape.com. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- "Onshape's FeatureScript Lets 3D CAD Users Design Faster With Custom Parametric Features (May 31, 2016)". Onshape.com. Cambridge, Massachusetts: OnShape Inc. Archived from the original on August 5, 2017. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- "PTC to acquire Onshape, the industry's first pure SaaS product development platform".
- "Onshape's Cloud-Based CAD Tool Gets $80 Million in Funding". Wired. September 24, 2015.>