Upverter is an EDA system delivered in a web-browser which enables hardware engineers to design, share, and review schematics and printed circuit boards. It additionally features the ability to generate a bill of materials, Gerber files, and a 3D rendering. Upverter provides web-based tools for editing schematic diagrams and for laying out printed-circuit boards. It does not require payment for open-source projects.
Upverter and Altium
In August 2017, Upverter was acquired by Altium, and was offered as a free-to-use product. Altium announced on May 14, 2018 that CircuitMaker, Altium's free maker-oriented design tool and associated web content, would become part of the Upverter product, with CircuitMaker forming the desktop client for offline editing, and Upverter.com forming both the browser based design editor along with content community and library. However, in a blog post on May 11, 2019, Altium COO Ted Pawela stated that the plans had evolved, and the products would remain separate, with interoperability features for the design files.
Upverter is an integrated tool for schematic capture, PCB layout, as well as version control, issue management, and design review. It supports import from Eagle, Altium Designer and OrCAD file formats. The tool also includes collaboration features, and a comprehensive parts library. Since August 2015 the platform also includes a component verification service.
Upverter was also selected as the 2013 PCB Design Tools Winner by DesignVision.
- Perry, Tekla (2011-09-16). "DemoFall 2011: A "Google Docs" for Circuit Design - IEEE Spectrum". Spectrum.ieee.org. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- "Upverter & Sparkfun Release Over 500 Open-Source Designs". EE Times. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- Schneider, David (2014-06-26). "Cloud-based Electronic-Design Tools Gain Traction - IEEE Spectrum". Spectrum.ieee.org. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- "Upverter Raises $2.3M To Be The Online Collaboration Layer For Hardware Engineering". TechCrunch. 2014-03-20. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- Ivor Tossell. "Startup drags hardware design out of dark ages with collaborative, browser-based app". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- Zak Homuth (2017-08-28). "Upverter Joins Altium". Upverter.
- Zak Homuth (14 May 2018). "And away we go... Merge!". Upverter.
- Jordan, Benjamin. "Upverter and CircuitMaker - Have your cake and eat it too!". Altium LLC. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- TedPawela, Author (11 May 2019). "Update on Upverter and its Development". Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "PwC Names Canada's Innovator of Year, Highlights 10 Up-and-Coming Tech Companies". Techvibes.com. 2014-11-07. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- "Showcase". Canadian Innovation Exchange. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- "The 2013 DesignVision winners announced at DesignCon". EDN. 2013-01-29. Retrieved 2015-03-08.