The 1997 ARDC AMSCAR Sedan Series was an Australian touring car series and was run for cars eligible to V8 Supercar specifications, although the series was not sanctioned by AVESCO. It began on 22 June 1997 at Eastern Creek Raceway and ended on 7 December at Eastern Creek Raceway after four rounds.
The series was run by the Australian Racing Drivers Club (ARDC) over the two circuits operated by the club in Sydney, Australia. It was the last such series to bear the AMSCAR name having been last run previously during the 1994 season. The series itself dated back to the Amaroo Park-based Sun-7 Chesterfield Series of the 1970s.
The 1997 series can be seen as the immediate fore-runner for today's Dunlop V8 Supercar Series, acting as a second tier series for touring cars contested by privately owned and funded touring car teams, known colloquially as 'privateers'.
Teams and drivers
The following drivers and teams competed in the 1997 AMSCAR series. The series consisted of four rounds.
|Holden VP Commodore
Holden VS Commodore
|Gary Cannan||Holden VL Commodore SS Group A SV||8|
|Simon Emerzidis||Holden VR Commodore||15|
|Walden Motorsport||Holden VP Commodore||21|
|Tim Slako||Holden VS Commodore||24|
|M3 Motorsport||Holden VP Commodore||26||Peter Doulman|
|Playscape Racing||Ford EF Falcon||28|
|Paul Weel Racing||Ford EL Falcon||31||Paul Weel|
|Ford EL Falcon||32|
|Holden VS Commodore||33||Bob Pearson|
|Holden VS Commodore||36|
|Scotty Taylor Racing||Holden VP Commodore||37|| |
|Garry Willmington Performance||Ford EB Falcon||41|
|Mal Rose Racing||Holden VS Commodore||44|
|V8Racing||Holden VP Commodore||77|
|Cadillac Productions||Ford EB Falcon||79|
|Holden VP Commodore||92|
|Don Pulver||Holden VP Commodore||88|
|Geoff Kendrick||Holden VS Commodore||92|
|Shaun Walker||Holden VS Commodore||99|
Results and standings
The 1997 AMSCAR season consisted of 4 rounds.
|Rd.||Race title||Circuit||City / state||Date||Winner||Team||Report|
|1||Eastern Creek||Eastern Creek Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||21–22 Jun|
|2||Amaroo Park||Amaroo Park||Sydney, New South Wales||19–20 Jul|
|3||Eastern Creek||Eastern Creek Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||30–31 Aug|
|4||Eastern Creek||Eastern Creek Raceway||Sydney, New South Wales||6–7 Dec|
Points were allocated 18–14–11–9–7–5–4–3–2–1 according to top ten race position in each race with three races being held per round.
- Brian Golding, Welcome, Program, Eastern Creek, 22 June 1997
- "Australian Racing Drivers Club 22/06/1997 ARDC AMSCAR Sedan Series Round 1". National Software. 22 June 1997. Archived from the original on 26 December 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2008.
- "Australian Racing Drivers Club 20/07/1997 1997 BOC Gases Australian Super Touring Meeting". National Software. 20 July 1997. Archived from the original on 22 March 2008. Retrieved 23 January 2008.
- "Australian Racing Drivers Club 31/08/1997 State Open Meeting Eastern Creek". National Software. 31 August 1997. Archived from the original on 26 December 2007. Retrieved 23 January 2008.
- "Australian Racing Drivers Club 07/12/1997 ARDC AMSCAR Sedan Series Round 4". National Software. 7 December 2007. Archived from the original on 22 March 2008. Retrieved 23 January 2008.