The 2016 Coates Hire Sydney 500 was a motor racing event for the Supercars Championship held on the weekend of 2 to 4 December 2016. The event was held at the Homebush Street Circuit in Sydney Olympic Park, New South Wales, and consisted of two races of 250 kilometres in length. It was the final round of the 2016 International V8 Supercars Championship, and the final time that the venue hosted a Supercar race, being replaced by the Newcastle Street Circuit from 2017 onwards.
|Practice 1||Friday||33||Scott McLaughlin||Garry Rogers Motorsport||Volvo S60||1:27.8095|
|Practice 2||Friday||97||Shane van Gisbergen||Triple Eight Race Engineering||Holden VF Commodore||1:27.0734|
- ^1 — David Reynolds' team exceeded parc fermé regulations after qualifying, which resulted in the exclusion of Reynolds.
Top Ten Shootout
|1||2||Garth Tander||Holden Racing Team||Holden VF Commodore||1:27.1524|
|2||97||Shane van Gisbergen||Triple Eight Race Engineering||Holden VF Commodore||1:27.1660|
|3||22||James Courtney||Holden Racing Team||Holden VF Commodore||1:27.2831|
|4||9||David Reynolds||Erebus Motorsport||Holden VF Commodore||1:27.3672|
|5||14||Tim Slade||Brad Jones Racing||Holden VF Commodore||1:27.4455|
|6||33||Scott McLaughlin||Garry Rogers Motorsport||Volvo S60||1:27.4955|
|7||23||Michael Caruso||Nissan Motorsport||Nissan Altima L33||1:27.7445|
|8||222||Nick Percat||Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport||Holden VF Commodore||1:28.2551|
|9||7||Todd Kelly||Nissan Motorsport||Nissan Altima L33||1:28.4348|
|10||88||Jamie Whincup||Triple Eight Race Engineering||Holden VF Commodore||1:31.5703|
Championship standings after the event
- Bartholomaeus, Stefan (27 September 2016). "Supercars confirms five-year Newcastle deal". speedcafe.com. Speedcafe. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "Van Gisbergen, Whincup share Race 28 front row". speedcafe.com. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "SVG secures Supercars title in dramatic Race 28". speedcafe.com. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "SVG fastest in Sunday qualifying". speedcafe.com. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Garth Tander scores pole for final HRT start". speedcafe.com. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "SVG celebrates with victory in Sydney finale". speedcafe.com. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
2016 ITM Auckland SuperSprint
|2016 Supercars Championship||Next race:|
2017 Clipsal 500 Adelaide
||Sydney 500||Next year:|