The 2016 Elite League was the top division of speedway leagues in Great Britain. The Elite League ran between March and October 2016. The Poole Pirates were the defending champions after winning their third consecutive title in 2015. The lineup of teams for 2016 stayed the same as in 2015, with the same eight teams competing. It was the last time that the competition would be known as the Elite League.
At the annual Elite League AGM, which was held during October and November 2015, it was announced that speedway bosses would continue to give more opportunities to young talent. All 8 Elite League teams would continue to track two young British draft riders, who would start the season at reserve. However unlike recent years these riders would be given Elite League averages after four meetings, giving them the chance to move into the top five of the team if they performed well. As a result of the reserve riders being given averages the overall points limit that teams must adhere to was raised from 34 to 40.5. In February 2016, it was announced that Elite League teams could sign an eighth stand-in rider, who could race in positions 2 to 5. The rider must be foreign and new to the Elite League. Lakeside Hammers signed Dennis Jonsson as their eight rider for the season.
As of 23 February 2016.
Belle Vue Aces
King's Lynn Stars
Aaron Summers replaced Grzegorz Walasek on 12 April in the Leicester Lions team.
Davey Watt replaced Sebastian Ułamek on 11 May in the Leicester Lions team.
Ludvig Lindgren replaced Davey Watt on 13 June in the Leicester Lions team.
Teams faced each other four times: twice home and away. The first of the home and away meetings were called the 'A' fixtures, and the second were the 'B' fixtures.
Final league table
Leicester Vs King's Lynn (B Fixture) was not raced
|1||Belle Vue Aces Q||28||12||0||2||4||3||0||3||4||1330||1178||+152||64|
|2||Poole Pirates Q||28||13||0||1||2||2||1||4||5||1394||1153||+241||59|
|3||Wolverhampton Wolves Q||28||13||0||1||3||1||0||4||6||1332||1210||+122||58|
|4||Lakeside Hammers Q||28||13||0||1||1||1||0||1||11||1323||1232||+91||47|
|6||King's Lynn Stars||27||7||1||6||2||1||1||1||8||1112||1323||-211||36|
Elite League Play-offs
|1||Belle Vue Aces||49||63||112|
|1||Belle Vue Aces||36||50||86|
|21 September 2016||Report||Lakeside Hammers||41–49||Belle Vue Aces||Arena Essex Raceway |
|21 September 2016||Report||Poole Pirates||51–39||Wolverhampton Wolves||Poole Stadium |
|28 September 2016||Report||Belle Vue Aces||63–28||Lakeside Hammers||National Speedway Stadium |
|28 September 2016||Report||Wolverhampton Wolves||55–35||Poole Pirates||Monmore Green Stadium |
|3 October 2016||Report||Wolverhampton Wolves||54–36||Belle Vue Aces||Monmore Green Stadium |
|5 October 2016||Report||Belle Vue Aces||50–42||Wolverhampton Wolves||National Speedway Stadium |
- Eighth stand-in rider
Final Leading averages
|Niels Kristian Iversen||Kings Lynn||9.04|
|Matej Žagar||Belle Vue||7.48|
|Craig Cook||Belle Vue||7.37|
- "BRITISH SPEEDWAY UPDATE". Speedway GB. Speedway GB. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Andy Mitchell (2016-02-23). "Speedway: Poole Pirates to hold fire on eighth man option (From Bournemouth Echo)". Bournemouthecho.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Lakeside snap up Swede - Sport". Romford Recorder. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Official Belle Vue Speedway". Bellevueaces.co. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Official Buildbase Coventry Speedway Website: 2016 COVENTRY BEES". Coventrybees.co. Archived from the original on 2016-03-28. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved February 23, 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Riders » Leicester Lions Speedway". Leicesterlions.co. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Poole Pirates Speedway". Poolepirates.co. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Swindon Robins Speedway Official Website: 2016 SWINDON ROBINS". Swindonrobins.co. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "Wolverhampton Wolves Speedway: 2016 WOLVERHAMPTON WOLVES". Wolverhamptonwolves.co. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- "BRITISH SPEEDWAY – RESULTS & SCORERS". Speedway GP. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Greensheet Averages" (PDF). Speedway GB.