The 2022 Supercars Championship (known for commercial reasons as the 2022 Repco Supercars Championship) is a motor racing series for Supercars. It is the twenty-fourth running of the Supercars Championship and the twenty-sixth series in which Supercars have contested the Australian Touring Car Championship, the premier title in Australian motorsport.
Teams and drivers
The following teams and drivers are competing in the 2022 championship.
Jamie Whincup retired from full-time competition at the end of the 2021 season and replaced Roland Dane as team principal and managing director of Triple Eight Race Engineering. 2021 Super2 Series champion Broc Feeney graduated to replace Whincup. Whincup will return as a endurance co-driver alongside Feeney.
Jake Kostecki and Zane Goddard left Matt Stone Racing, with Kostecki replacing Jack Le Brocq at Tickford Racing. Le Brocq joined Matt Stone Racing in a straight driver swap. Todd Hazelwood also returned to the team, having last raced for them in 2019. Zane Goddard was unable to raise sufficient sponsorship to compete full-time in 2022. He returned as an endurance co-driver for Tickford Racing.
Bryce Fullwood left Walkinshaw Andretti United to replace Hazelwood at Brad Jones Racing, with Fullwood's seat filled by Nick Percat, who returned to Walkinshaw, a team he last raced for in 2014 under James Rosenberg Racing.
Chris Pither returned to the championship, replacing Fabian Coulthard who was dropped from the PremiAir Racing driver line-up. Coulthard joined Walkinshaw Andretti United as an endurance co-driver.
Mid Season changes
Thirteen circuits are due to host a round of the 2022 championship:
The following event is postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic:
|Newcastle 500||Newcastle Street Circuit||Newcastle, New South Wales|
Albert Park, Auckland, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Perth and Winton are due to return after absence due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Impact of COVID-19 pandemic
The Newcastle 500 was postponed due to the COVID-19 Omicron outbreak in New South Wales. Sydney Motorsport Park hosted the opening round of the championship, as Sydney SuperNight, with the Newcastle 500 expected to return at a later date.
The red flag rule during qualifying was amended. Previously if a driver caused a red flag in the session, their fastest time gets deleted and ruled out for the remainder of the session. Now if a driver causes a red flag and is able to bring it back to the pits, their fastest lap gets deleted, but they are now able to resume being a part of the session. This comes after Cameron Waters brought out the red flag at the second Sydney Motorsport Park round in 2021 and was able to return to the pits under his own power.
Points are awarded for each race at an event, to the driver or drivers of a car that completed at least 75% of the race distance and was running at the completion of the race. At least 50% of the planned race distance must be completed for the result to be valid and championship points awarded. No extra points are awarded if the fastest lap time is achieved by a driver who is classified outside the top fifteen.
- Bathurst: Used for the Bathurst 1000.
- Two-race: Used for the Sydney SuperNight, Townsville 500, Gold Coast 500 and Adelaide 500.
- SuperSprint: Used for all SuperSprint races, the Perth SuperNight and Darwin Triple Crown.
- Melbourne: Used for the Melbourne 400.
- Pavey, James (20 November 2021). "Red Bull Ampol Racing clinches 2021 teams' title". Supercars.
- Pavey, James (21 November 2021). "No result declared for Race 30, van Gisbergen secures title". Supercars.
- All the moves: 2022 Supercars grid finalised Supercars Championship 20 January 2022
- Just seven co-drives left to fill for Bathurst 1000 Speedcafe 19 May 2022
- Courtney signs multi year deal with Tickford Speedcafe 7 October 2021
- Tickford locks in Bathurst 1000 driver pairings Speedcafe 24 June 2022
- Pavey, James (25 October 2021). "Tickford confirms new multi-year Waters deal". Supercars Championship.
- Randle confirmed for 2022 full-time Supercars seat Speedcafe 18 June 2021
- "Tickford signs young gun Jake Kostecki from 2022". Tickford Racing. 11 October 2021.
- Bullis, Charlie (2021-12-17). "Grove Racing confirms Holdsworth for 2022 Full Time Drive". Supercars.com.
- Grove Racing confirms Bathurst 1000 driver pairings Speedcafe 9 May 2022
- DJR confirms 2022 Driver Lineup Speedcafe 12 August 2021
- Pavey, James (13 May 2022). "DJR retains D'Alberto, Davison for Bathurst". Supercars.
- Pavey, James (26 October 2021). "WAU confirms Percat on multi-year deal". Supercars.
- Chapman, Simon (2022-02-22). "WAU confirms Coulthard, Luff for Bathurst 1000". Speedcafe.com.
- Mostert inks long-term WAU extension Speedcafe 15 June 2021
- Smith confirms 2022 plans with BJR Supercars.com 25 November 2021
- Pavey, James (13 September 2021). "Heimgartner to join BJR in 2022". Supercars Championship.
- Wood to partner Heimgartner in Bathurst 1000 Speedcafe 14 March 2022
- Pavey, James (26 October 2021). "Fullwood to join BJR in 2022". Supercars Championship.
- Chapman, Simon (2022-03-16). "Fiore to partner Fullwood at Bathurst". Speedcafe.com.
- Jones confirmed at BJR for 2022 Speedcafe 24 November 2021
- O'Brien, Connor (2022-03-14). "Boys to partner Jones for Bathurst". Speedcafe.com.
- Erebus expansion no longer on the cards Speedcafe 11 April 2021
- Chapman, Simon (2022-02-11). "Erebus confirms Enduro Lineup". Speedcafe.com.
- Frosty signs for two more years Auto Action 16 October 2020
- "TEAM 18 STATEMENT ON BATHURST CO-DRIVER PLANS". Team 18. 5 July 2022.
- Team 18 confirms Pye contract extension Supercars Championship 22 September 2021
- O'Brien, Connor (2022-01-13). "Team Sydney sold. Renamed PremiAir Racing". Speedcafe.com.
- O'Brien, Connor (2022-01-20). "PremiAir Racing confirms driver line-up". Speedcafe.com.
- O'Brian, Connor (5 July 2022). "Golding lands seven-round PremiAir Racing deal". Speedcafe.
- Pavey, James (27 October 2021). "Le Brocq signs multi-year Matt Stone Racing deal". Supercars Championship.
- Bartholomaeus, Steven (4 July 2022). "Aaron Seton scores Bathurst 1000 drive". V8Sleuth.
- Pavey, James (20 October 2021). "Matt Stone Racing confirms Hazelwood reunion". Supercars Championship.
- Feeney confirmed as Whincup replacement at Triple Eight Supercars Championship 31 August 2021
- Pavey, James (2022-06-05). "Triple Eight confirms Bathurst Enduro Lineup". Supercars Championship.
- Chapman, Simon (21 February 2020). "SVG signs multi-year deal with Triple Eight". Speedcafe. Speedcafe. Retrieved 22 October 2021.
- Herrero, Daniel (2022-04-22). "Tickford to run Supercars wildcard programme for Best". Speedcafe.com.
- "Infamous Mustang returns to Bathurst". Motorsport.com. 27 May 2022.
- O'Brian, Connor (5 July 2022). "Bathurst 1000 wildcard hopeful denied Superlicence". Speedcafe.
- Pavey, James (2022-05-10). "WAU confirms Ojeda Wildcard". Supercars Championship.
- O'Brien, Connor (2022-05-04). "Boys confirmed for Supercars solo debut". Speedcafe.com.
- Pavey, James (2022-04-30). "Erebus Motorsport confirms all Kiwi Bathurst Wildcard". Supercars Championship.
- Supercheap Auto to reveal Bathurst 1000 wildcard drivers Speedcafe 1 June 2022
- Triple Eight confirms Lowndes/Fraser wildcard Speedcafe 5 June 2022
- Matt Chahda Motorsport enters Bathurst 1000 as wildcard Speedccafe 1 July 2022
- Tickford secures fourth REC Auto Action 18 June 2021
- Grove takes full ownership of KGR, Kelly to depart Speedcafe 26 July 2021
- Whincup to retire, take over as Triple Eight boss Speedcafe 3 February 2021
- Pavey, James (15 October 2021). "Goddard confirms Matt Stone Racing exit". Supercars Championship.
- O'Brian, Connor (21 December 2021). "2022 plans still up in the air for Goddard". Speedcafe.
- Chapman, Simon (2022-02-28). "Tickford Racing confirms Goddard for Bathurst". Speedcafe.com.
- What Heimgartner move means for 2022 Supercars driver market Speedcafe.com 07 September 2021
- Dale, Will (13 September 2021). "Nick Percat splits with Brad Jones Racing". V8 Sleuth.
- Pavey, James (21 June 2022). "PremiAir Racing confirms Jacobson exit". Supercars.
- Adelaide 500’s long-term future formally sealed
- Pavey, James (24 January 2022). "Repco Newcastle 500 postponed". Supercars.
- Pavey, James (31 January 2022). "Red flag qualifying rule tweaked". Supercars.
- Supercars tightens up fastest lap bonus points Speedcafe 31 January 2022
- WAU fined, docked teams’ championship points for breach Speedcafe 8 April 2022