The Ford Falcon (XY) is a full-size car that was produced by Ford Australia from 1970 to 1972. It was the fourth and last iteration of the second generation of the Falcon and also included the Ford Fairmont (XY)—the luxury-oriented version.
The XY Falcon was released in October 1970 replacing the XW Falcon. The XY was a facelift of the XW, featuring a new divided grille and redesigned tail lights. Improvements were made to seating, safety equipment and ride quality.
The XY Falcon range featured eight passenger vehicles and three commercial models.
- Ford Falcon Sedan
- Ford Falcon Wagon
- Ford Falcon 500 Sedan
- Ford Falcon 500 Wagon
- Ford Futura Sedan
- Ford Fairmont Sedan
- Ford Fairmont Wagon
- Ford Falcon GT Sedan
- Ford Falcon Utility
- Ford Falcon Van
- Ford Falcon 500 Utility
- Ford Falcon Limousine
- Ford Falcon Panel Van
Futura and Fairmont models, whilst marketed as part of the XY Falcon range, were not officially referred to or badged as Falcons.
A GS Rally Pack was available as an option on Falcon 500, Futura and Fairmont Sedans and Wagons.
Falcon GTHO Phase III
Falcon 4-wheel-drive utility
New 200 cu in (3.3 L) and 250 cu in (4.1 L) inline six-cylinder engines replaced the smaller-capacity sixes offered in the XW and the 302 cu in (4.9 L) and 351 cu in (5.8 L) V8s were carried over from the previous range, though with the dropping of the larger capacity Windsor to the exclusive fitment of the Cleveland.
- Springbock Supercars - Aussie Style, Australian Muscle Car, Issue 10, Nov/Dec 2003, page 16 to 17
- Norm Darwin, The History of Ford in Australia, 1986, page 165
- Tony Davis, Aussie Cars, 1987, page 118
- Ford Falcon XY Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 17 February 2010
- Falcon XY Technical Specifications Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 17 February 2010
- Ford XY Falcon sales brochure, Ford Sales Company of Australia Limited
- Ford XY Falcon sales brochure, Ford Sales Company of Australia Limited, pages 22–23
- Glass’s Dealer Guide, South Australian & Northern Territory Edition, June 1973, page 54
- AC Bushby, The Australian Ford Falcon Collection, 1989, pages 136–137
- AC Bushby, The Australian Ford Falcon Collection, 1989, pages 163–164
- Ford XY GTHO Phase III Technical Specifications Retrieved from www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au on 17 February 2010
- Tony Davis, Aussie Cars, 1987, page 129