The 296 GTB was presented as the first "real Ferrari with six cylinders" on 24 June 2021. Previously, such models were offered as the Dino until 1974. The sports car is scheduled to go on sale in 2022. The 296 in the model name stands for the displacement and the number of cylinders, the GTB stands for Gran Turismo Berlinetta.
The 296 GTB is powered by a 2,992 cc (3.0 L) twin-turbo 120° V6 engine that has a maximum output of 488 kW (654 hp; 663 PS) at 8,000 rpm, in combination with a 123 kW (165 hp; 167 PS) electric motor. The system output is given as 610 kW (818 hp; 829 PS). A high-voltage accumulator positioned under the floor with an energy capacity of 7.45 kWh (26.8 MJ) enables an electrical range of 25 km (16 mi). The sports car accelerates to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.9 seconds, the top speed is specified as over 330 km/h (205 mph).
The Assetto Fiorano is the track-oriented version of the 296 GTB.
The 296 GTS is an open-top variant of the 296 GTB with a folding hardtop. The top takes 14 seconds for operation and can be operated with speeds up to 45 km/h (28 mph). The GTS weighs 70 kg (154 lb) more than the GTB due to chassis reinforcing components but maintains equal performance.
To promote the launch of the 296 GTB, Ferrari collaborated with Epic Games to add the Ferrari 296 GTB as a drivable vehicle to online battle royale video game Fortnite Battle Royale, for Chapter 2: Season 7 of the game. The 296 GTBs were removed from the game after Chapter 2: Season 7 ended.
The 296 GT3 was finally shown to the general public, which will replace the Ferrari 488 GT3 in the World Endurance Championship and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship in 2023. The car was entirely designed in Maranello while it will be assembled by the Oreca team, which will also assist the customer teams. The 296 GT3 is equipped with a 2,992 cc (182.6 cu in) V6 Turbo engine capable of developing 440 kW (590 hp; 600 PS) and derived from the road version. Unlike the latter, it's not equipped with a plug-in hybrid system to obtain the homologation regulations of the FIA.
- "Ferrari 296 GTB: defining fun to drive". Retrieved 24 June 2021.
- Paul Niocel (9 June 2021). "Ferrari Progetto F171 (2022) : L'héritière de la Dino est sur les rails". Auto News.
- Audric Doche (16 June 2021). "Ferrari nous donne rendez-vous le 24 juin". Caradisiac.
- Roland Hildebrandt (2021-06-24). "Ferrari 296 GTB: Mega-Plug-in-Hybrid mit 830 PS". Motor1.com. Retrieved 2021-06-24.
- Thomas Harloff, Jörn Thomas (2021-06-24). "Ferrari 296 GTB (2022): Dino-Nachfolger mit Hybrid-V6 und 830 PS". auto motor und sport. Retrieved 2021-06-24.
- "Fortnite x Ferrari Partnership Brings The Model 296 GTB In-Game". Esports News Network | ESTNN. 2021-07-21. Retrieved 2022-02-05.