A 1979 Australian Drivers' Championship was a CAMS sanctioned national motor racing title for drivers of Australian Formula 1 racing cars. The championship winner was awarded the 1979 CAMS Gold Star. The title, which was the 23rd Australian Drivers' Championship, was won by Johnnie Walker, driving a Lola T332.
The championship was contested over a three-round series with one race per round.
|1||Australian Grand Prix||Wanneroo Raceway||Western Australia||11 March||Johnnie Walker||Lola T332 Chevrolet||Report|
|2||Oran Park||New South Wales||29 July||John Bowe||Elfin MR8 Chevrolet|
|3||Rothmans 10,000||Sandown||Victoria||9 September||Alfredo Costanzo||Lola T430 Chevrolet|
Championship points were awarded on a 9-6-4-3-2-1 basis to the first six placegetters in each race.
|1||Johnnie Walker||25||Lola T332 Chevrolet||Magnum Wheels||9||4||6||19|
|2||John Bowe||11||Elfin MR8 Chevrolet||Ansett Team Elfin||6||9||-||15|
|3||Alfredo Costanzo||84||Lola T430 Chevrolet||Porsche Cars Australia||-||-||9||9|
|4||Rob Butcher||10||Lola T332 Chevrolet||Rob Butcher||4||-||4||8|
|John Smith||71||Ralt RT1 Ford||John Smith||3||3||2||8|
|6||John Wright||76||Lola T400 Chevrolet||John Wright||-||6||-||6|
|7||Graham McRae||2||McRae GM3||Settlement Road Wreckers||-||-||3||3|
|8||Chas Talbot||3||Lola T332C||Chas Talbot||-||2||-||2|
|Terry Hook||15||Lola T332 Chevrolet||Terry Hook||2||-||-||2|
|10||Peter Edwards||21||Lola T332||PJ Edwards||-||-||1||1|
|Paul Hamilton||88||Elfin 600||-||1||-||1|
|Barry Singleton||19||Gardos GL1 Chevrolet||Barry Singleton||1||-||-||1|
Sources of the time differ as to the actual name of the championship with both Australian Drivers' Championship and Australian Formula 1 Championship being used. "Australian Drivers' Championship" is used by Confederation of Australian Motor Sport in its historic documentation and that term has been used here.
- CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, 1979, pages 94-96
- Australian Drivers’ Championship – CAMS Gold Star, 2016 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, as archived at web.archive.org
- Australian Motor Racing Yearbook, 1979/80, page 214
- Australian Motor Racing Yearbook, 1979/80, pages 88-97
- Wolfgang Kopfler, 1979 Australian Drivers' Championship, Formula 5000 in New Zealand & Australia: Race by Race, page 214
- Souvenir Programme, Wanneroo Raceway, Australian Grand Prix, 11th March 1979
- Official Program, Sandown, 9 September 1979
- The official 50-race history of the Australian Grand Prix, 1986, pages 426-434
- Ray Bell, Alfie storms back, Racing Car News, October 1979, pages 28-30