The 2005 Super Cheap Auto 1000 was an endurance motor race for V8 Supercars. The race was held on 9 October 2005 at the Mount Panorama Circuit just outside Bathurst in New South Wales, Australia and was Round 10 of the 2005 V8 Supercar Championship Series. It was the ninth running of the Australia 1000 race, first held after the organisational split over the Bathurst 1000 that occurred in 1997. It was the 48th in a sequence of endurance races which commenced with the 1960 Armstrong 500 held at Phillip Island and 2005 was the 43rd year in which these races had been run at the Mount Panorama Circuit. It was also the first to be run under new naming rights sponsor, Australian automotive retail chain Super Cheap Auto.
The race was won by Mark Skaife and Todd Kelly of the Holden Racing Team. It was the seventh consecutive win by a Holden, the longest such streak in the combined history of the Bathurst 1000. It was the Holden Racing Team's fifth Bathurst victory and Skaife's fifth win as well. Kelly followed his younger brother Rick as a Bathurst winner, becoming the 50th driver to claim victory.
Top Ten Shootout
The fastest ten cars from Qualifying contested a single lap shootout to determine the first ten grid positions for the race.
|1||888||Triple Eight Race Engineering||Craig Lowndes||Ford Falcon BA||2:08.5990|
|2||1||Stone Brothers Racing||Marcos Ambrose||Ford Falcon BA||2:08.8571|
|3||51||Paul Weel Racing||Greg Murphy||Holden Commodore VZ||2:09.1834|
|4||2||Holden Racing Team||Mark Skaife||Holden Commodore VZ||2:09.3787|
|5||16||HSV Dealer Team||Garth Tander||Holden Commodore VZ||2:09.6648|
|6||24||Perkins Engineering||Steven Richards||Holden Commodore VY||2:09.8170|
|7||3||Tasman Motorsport||Jason Richards||Holden Commodore VZ||2:12.2092|
|8||18||Dick Johnson Racing||Glenn Seton||Ford Falcon BA||2:19.6014|
|9||22||Holden Racing Team||Jim Richards||Holden Commodore VZ||2:20.1202|
|10||9||Stone Brothers Racing||Russell Ingall||Ford Falcon BA||DNF|
The following table represents the final starting grid for the race on Sunday:
- Provisional Pole – #888 Craig Lowndes – 2:07.1322
- Pole Position – #888 Craig Lowndes – 2:07.4221
- Fastest Lap – #2 Mark Skaife – 2:08.6515 (173.86 km/h) on lap 95 – new outright record
- Average Speed – 151 km/h
- "V8 Supercars - Bathurst 1000: Practice Day Two". Getty Images. 7 October 2005.
- "V8 Supercars - Bathurst 1000: Qualifying". Getty Images. 8 October 2005.
- http://racing.natsoft.com.au/637876958/object_286568.85h/Result?17[permanent dead link]
- Top Ten Shoot Out, racing.natsoft.com.au Archived 9 April 2014 at archive.today Retrieved on 9 April 2014
- Super Cheap Auto 1000 race result at www.natsoft.com.au Archived 28 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 23 June 2012
- Grant Rowley, Master Plan, The Annual – Australian Motorsport, Number 1 / 2005, pages 30-31
- Race results, The Great Race 2005, page 233
- Image of car 11, The Great Race 2005, page 162
- Image of car 24, The Great Race 2005, page 111
2005 Betta Electrical 500
|2005 Supercars Championship||Next race:|
2005 Gilette V8 Supercar Challenge
2004 Bob Jane T-Marts 1000
|Bathurst 1000||Next year:|
2006 Supercheap Auto 1000