The Newcastle Street Circuit is a temporary street circuit around the east end of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia. The circuit hosts the Newcastle 500, the final round of the Supercars Championship. The 14-turn, 2.641 km (1.641 mi) circuit takes in Newcastle Beach and the foreshore around Nobbys Beach Reserve.
The circuit begins on Wharf Road, heading south-west towards the city. It then turns left at Watt Street, crossing over the Newcastle Light Rail tracks before ascending a 1:22 hill up Watt Street, before again turning left onto Shortland Esplanade 500 m (550 yd) after turn one. Once on Shortland Esplanade, the circuit snakes down the beachside road before reaching a 90° left turn at Zaara Street. This is followed by a 90° right turn onto Scott Street and another 90° left turn onto Parnell Place to the fastest stretch of circuit, Nobbys Road down past Fort Scratchley followed by a left-handed hairpin bend in the Camp Shortland carpark. From there a right hand turn onto Wharf Road completes the lap.
The originally proposed layout was altered with the omission of the section through Pacific Park and the alteration of the planned Nobbys' Reserve permanent course. However, the circuit has attracted criticism from residents within the circuit precinct.
In 2019, the Camp Shortland hairpin bend was altered in order to improve overtaking. The corner apex moved to where the outside track limit point was initially situated and the corner radius was tightened, giving drivers a longer and deeper braking zone to complete passes.
As of November 2019, the official race lap records at Newcastle Street Circuit are listed as:
|Outright||Scott McLaughlin||Ford Falcon FG X||1:10.3057||25 November 2018|
|Aussie Racing Cars||Kel Treseder||Chevrolet Camaro-Yamaha||1:20.8036||24 November 2019|
|Supercars Championship||Scott McLaughlin||Ford Falcon FG X||1:10.3057||25 November 2018|
|Super2 Series||Chris Pither||Holden Commodore VF||1:11.8506||23 November 2018|
|SuperUtes||Tom Alexander||Isuzu D-Max||1:29.1969||23 November 2019|
|V8 Ute Racing Series||Jeremy Gray||Ford Falcon FG Ute||1:24.5471||26 November 2017|
|Toyota 86 Racing Series||Declan Fraser||Toyota 86||1:26.1035||24 November 2018|
|Historic Touring Cars|
|Touring Car Masters||Steven Johnson||Ford Mustang Mk.1 Fastback||1:18.3637||24 November 2018|
- "Five-year, $57 million Newcastle Supercars deal confirmed". Motorsport.com. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Date and layout locked in for Newcastle Supercars race". Motorsport.com. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- Supercars to cross tram tracks in Newcastle Speedcafe 27 April 2018
- "Changes to Newcastle street circuit as date set". Speedcafe. 13 December 2016.
- "Supercars: Newcastle street circuit revealed with changes to initial layout". Fox Sports Australia. 13 December 2016.
- Zhou, Naaman (2 September 2017). "'We essentially live inside a racetrack': Supercars race leaves Newcastle residents fuming". The Guardian Australia. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Track tweak to improve overtaking at Newcastle 500". Speedcafe. 15 November 2019.