History and location
The Parque Fundidora is located inside the grounds formerly occupied by Fundidora Monterrey, a steel foundry company of great importance to the economic development of the city during the 20th century. After its bankruptcy in 1986, Federal and State government showed interest in using the land to create a public park with the aim to preserve its history as well as being a center of culture, business, entertainment and ecological awareness for the people of the city. In 1988 the land was expropriated and the Fideicomiso Fundidora (Fundidora Trust) was created to manage it in an arrangement between the State government and private investment. Construction began in 1989, starting with the preservation of historically important buildings and structures within the foundry and the dismantling of the others, followed by the construction of the CINTERMEX convention center, Plaza Sesamo amusement park, a hotel and a cinematheque. Construction and rehabilitation continued during the rest of the 1990´s.
The park opened in February 24 of 2001 with an area of 114 hectares (280 acres), receiving the additional name of Museum of Industrial Archaeology Site. In 2010 the Paseo Santa Lucía development, consisting of a 2.35 kilometres (1.46 mi) artificial river and accompanying river-walk, is incorporated to the park bringing it into its current state, with a total area of 144 hectares (360 acres), 80 hectares (200 acres) of which are green space, 2 lakes, 23 fountains, 16 buildings, 27 large scale industrial structures and 127 pieces of steel-making machinery and tools of historical importance to the state of Nuevo Leon. There's also a 3.4 kilometres (2.1 mi) long track surrounding the original section of the park.
Arena Monterrey is an indoor arena in Monterrey, Mexico. It is primarily used for concerts, shows and indoor sports like indoor soccer or basketball. It used to be the home arena of the Monterrey Fury indoor soccer team and the Fuerza Regia, a professional basketball team in the Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional and the Monterrey La Raza, a team in the NISL.
The Arena Monterrey is owned by Publimax S.A. de C.V. (TV Azteca Northeast), part of the Avalanz Group, who owns 80% and by TV Azteca who owns 20%. The arena is 480,000 square feet (45,000 m²) in size.
Parque Plaza Sésamo
Auditorio Citibanamex (formerly named Auditorio Coca-Cola, Auditorio Fundidora and Auditorio Banamex) is an indoor amphitheatre with a capacity of 8,200.
The amphitheatre opened in 1994 with a sponsorship by The Coca-Cola Company, and it was the primary venue for concerts until the Arena Monterrey opened in 2003.
Centro de las Artes
Museo de Acero
- The Champ Car World Series Grand Prix of Monterrey was held from 2001 to 2006 (see Tecate/Telmex Grand Prix of Monterrey).
- Fundidora Park has been the venue of UN and OEA summits.
- On February 26, 2006, the Fundidora Park raceway hosted the 2005–06 A1 Grand Prix of Nations, Mexico in A1 Grand Prix racing series.
- The park was the center of the 2007 Universal Forum of Cultures. For this event, an area of 30 hectares (0.30 km2) was joined to the 120 original hectares and also was joined to the city's Great Plaza by the Santa Lucia Riverwalk.
- The Pal Norte music fest and the Machaca Fest are hosted in the park every year.
Champ Car race history
|2001||March 11||Cristiano da Matta||Newman/Haas Racing||Report|
|2002||March 10||Cristiano da Matta||Newman/Haas Racing||Report|
|2003||March 23||Paul Tracy||Forsythe Racing||Report|
|2004||May 23||Sébastien Bourdais||Newman/Haas Racing||Report|
|2005||May 22||Bruno Junqueira||Newman/Haas Racing||Report|
|2006||May 21||Sébastien Bourdais||Newman/Haas Racing||Report|
A1GP race history
|Season||Date||Sprint Race Winner||Feature Race Winner||Report|
|2005–2006||February 26||Alexandre Premat||Alexandre Premat||Report|
|Champ Car||2006 Tecate Grand Prix of Monterrey||Sébastien Bourdais||Lola B03/00||1:14.529|
|A1 GP||2005–06 A1 Grand Prix of Nations, Mexico||Alexandre Prémat||Lola B05/52||1:21.100|
- "Parque Fundidora - Acerca - Nosotros". www.parquefundidora.org. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
- "Parque Fundidora - Acerca - Historia". www.parquefundidora.org. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
- "Parque Fundidora - Acerca - Accesos y Horario". www.parquefundidora.org. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
- "Auditorio Citibanamex". Archived from the original on 2018-03-15. Retrieved 2018-03-15.