The 1987 Australian 2.0 Litre Touring Car Championship was a CAMS sanctioned Australian motor racing title open to Group A Touring Cars of under 2.0 litre engine capacity. The title was contested over a four-round series and was won by Mark Skaife driving a Nissan Gazelle.
The 1987 Australian 2.0 Litre Touring Car Championship was contested over a four-round series.
|1||Winton||Victoria||22 March||John Smith ||Toyota Corolla|
|2||Sandown Park||Victoria||7 June||Mark Skaife||Nissan Gazelle|
|3||Lakeside||Queensland||19 July||Mark Skaife||Nissan Gazelle|
|4||Amaroo Park||New South Wales||2 August||Mark Skaife||Nissan Gazelle|
- Six rounds had been scheduled, however two were cancelled.
- The Sandown round was held concurrently with Round 7 of the 1987 Australian Touring Car Championship.
Championship points were awarded at each round on the following basis:
|Position ||Driver ||Car||Entrant||Winton ||Sandown ||Amaroo ||Lakeside ||Total|
|1||Mark Skaife||Nissan Gazelle||Nissan Motor Company||24||30||30||30||114|
|2||Drew Price||Toyota Corolla||Toyota Team Australia||27||24||24||27||102|
|3||John Faulkner||Toyota Corolla||Toyota Team Australia||21||21||21||24||87|
|4||John Smith||Toyota Corolla||Toyota Team Australia||30||27||27||-||84|
|5||David Ratcliff||Toyota Corolla Levin||Ratcliff Transport Spares||19||19||17||19||74|
|6||Garry Willmington||Toyota Sprinter||Bob Holden Motors||-||-||19||21||40|
|7||Bob Holden||Toyota Sprinter||Bob Holden Motors||17||-||-||17||34|
|8||Daryl Hendrick||Isuzu Gemini ZZ||Gemspares||13||17||-||-||30|
|9||Michael Birks||Toyota Sprinter||Bob Holden Motors||-||-||15||-||15|
|=||Mike Freeman||Toyota Celica||Michael Freeman||15||-||-||-||15|
|=||Mike Hall||Toyota Sprinter||Bob Holden Motors||-||15||-||-||15|
|=||Paul Miller||Ford Laser TX3||Paul Miller||-||-||-||15||15|
|13||Glenn Clark||Toyota Sprinter||Bob Holden Motors||14||-||-||-||14|
|14||Paul Jones||Toyota Corolla||Paul Jones||12||-||-||-||12|
|15||David Sala||Isuzu PF60 Gemini||David Sala||11||-||-||-||11|
|16||Lindsay Siebler||Suzuki Swift||Suzuki Parts||10||-||-||-||10|
- Australian Titles, 2008 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport Retrieved on 10 March 2013
- David Segal, Australian Touring Car Championship, Australian Motor Racing Year 1987/88, pages 193-194
- Graham Slater, "Oh! What a Feeling!", Racing Car News, May 1987, pages 34-36
- Touring Car Championship, Round Seven, Sandown Park, Australian Motor Racing Year 1987/88, pages 208-209
- Racing Car News, September 1987, page 42
- Skaife Skips Away, Racing Car News, September 1987, pages 58-60
- A comparison of race results against progress pointscores published after Round 1 in Racing Car News, May 1987, page 36 indicates that points were awarded 30-27-24-21-19-17-15 etc. This is consistent with the CAMS "Scale A" points system which was published in the 1987 CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, pages 78-79 and is quoted here.
- David Greenhalgh, Championship places scored by all drivers, Official Programme, BOC Gases Super Touring Championship, Mallala, Round 4, 11 August 1996, page 35
- Winton points derived from race results published in Racing Car News, May 1987, pages 34-36
- Sandown points derived from race results published in Australian Motor Racing Year 1987/88, page 316 & 1987 Australian Group A Touring Car Races, www.ten-tenths.com
- Amaroo points derived from race results published in Racing Car News, September 1987, page 42
- Winton points derived from race results published in Racing Car News, September 1987, pages 58-60
- Official Program, Sandown, 9 June 1987