It comprises the following municipalities:
(31 December 2020)
Coat of arms
Sierre has a population (as of December 2020) of 49,427. Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks French (32,090 or 80.2%) as their first language, German is the second most common (3,240 or 8.1%) and Italian is the third (1,522 or 3.8%). There are 15 people who speak Romansh.
As of 2008, the gender distribution of the population was 49.2% male and 50.8% female. The population was made up of 16,070 Swiss men (35.0% of the population) and 6,533 (14.2%) non-Swiss men. There were 17,331 Swiss women (37.8%) and 5,970 (13.0%) non-Swiss women. Of the population in the district 15,421 or about 38.5% were born in Sierre and lived there in 2000. There were 10,133 or 25.3% who were born in the same canton, while 4,100 or 10.2% were born somewhere else in Switzerland, and 9,037 or 22.6% were born outside of Switzerland.
As of 2000, there were 15,872 people who were single and never married in the district. There were 19,763 married individuals, 2,406 widows or widowers and 1,977 individuals who are divorced.
There were 5,349 households that consist of only one person and 968 households with five or more people. Out of a total of 16,811 households that answered this question, 31.8% were households made up of just one person and there were 166 adults who lived with their parents. Of the rest of the households, there are 4,312 married couples without children, 5,215 married couples with children There were 941 single parents with a child or children. There were 225 households that were made up of unrelated people and 603 households that were made up of some sort of institution or another collective housing.
The historical population is given in the following chart:
Mergers and name changes
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the CVP which received 37.4% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the FDP (18.35%), the SP (17.81%) and the SVP (15.85%). In the federal election, a total of 16,632 votes were cast, and the voter turnout was 61.3%.
In the 2009 Conseil d'État/Staatsrat election a total of 15,565 votes were cast, of which 1,099 or about 7.1% were invalid. The voter participation was 57.9%, which is similar to the cantonal average of 54.67%. In the 2007 Swiss Council of States election a total of 16,401 votes were cast, of which 1,251 or about 7.6% were invalid. The voter participation was 61.5%, which is similar to the cantonal average of 59.88%.
From the 2000 census, 31,439 or 78.6% were Roman Catholic, while 2,146 or 5.4% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 1,015 members of an Orthodox church (or about 2.54% of the population), there were 17 individuals (or about 0.04% of the population) who belonged to the Christian Catholic Church, and there were 637 individuals (or about 1.59% of the population) who belonged to another Christian church. There were 62 individuals (or about 0.15% of the population) who were Jewish, and 719 (or about 1.80% of the population) who were Islamic. There were 56 individuals who were Buddhist, 49 individuals who were Hindu and 59 individuals who belonged to another church. 1,945 (or about 4.86% of the population) belonged to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 2,169 individuals (or about 5.42% of the population) did not answer the question.
Sierre town has an average of 87.2 days of rain or snow per year and on average receives 657 mm (25.9 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is December during which time Sierre receives an average of 72 mm (2.8 in) of rain or snow. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 7.9 days. The month with the most days of precipitation is August, with an average of 8.4, but with only 58 mm (2.3 in) of rain or snow. The driest month of the year is September with an average of 37 mm (1.5 in) of precipitation over 5.7 days.
In Sierre about 13,162 or (32.9%) of the population have completed non-mandatory upper secondary education, and 4,878 or (12.2%) have completed additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule). Of the 4,878 who completed tertiary schooling, 53.6% were Swiss men, 26.8% were Swiss women, 11.3% were non-Swiss men and 8.3% were non-Swiss women.
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2020. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (in German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 25-August-2011
- STAT-TAB Datenwürfel für Thema 40.3 - 2000 Archived 2013-08-09 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 2 February 2011
- Ständige Wohnbevolkerung nach Geschlecht und Heimat am 31.12.2009.xls (in German and French) accessed 24 August 2011
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office STAT-TAB Bevölkerungsentwicklung nach Region, 1850-2000 Archived 2014-09-30 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 29 January 2011
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 14 January 2010
- Nomenklaturen – Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz Archived 2015-11-13 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 4 April 2011
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 27 April 2016
- "Applikation der Schweizer Gemeinden". bfs.admin.ch. Swiss Federal Statistical Office. 2021. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office, Nationalratswahlen 2007: Stärke der Parteien und Wahlbeteiligung, nach Gemeinden/Bezirk/Canton (in German) accessed 28 May 2010
- Staatsratswahlen vom 1. März 2009 (in German) accessed 24 August 2011
- Ständeratswahl 2007 (in German) accessed 24 August 2011
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the Sierre weather station elevation is 539 meters above sea level.