TOM'S Co., Ltd (株式会社トムス, Kabushiki-gaisha Tomusu) is a factory supported racing team and tuner of Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Their head office is located in Tokyo, Japan. They are currently heavily involved with Super GT, Super Formula and Super Formula Lights. TOM'S creates aftermarket parts for current Toyota vehicles, and have also created their own special edition of certain current Lexus models.
The name stands for Tachi Oiwa Motor Sport, as the company was established in 1974 by Nobuhide Tachi and Kiyoshi Oiwa. Despite an oil crisis at the time, the two were able to show productive results and a healthy development of motorsports for Toyota. With the support of Toyota, TOM'S went into business in 1974.
In 1975 the Toyota Motor Corporation officially recognized TOM'S as an authorized tuning shop. In 1978, the firm opened a garage in the Tama area of Tokyo. The tuning firm expanded to Norfolk, England with branch openings in 1987. TOM'S entered the Japanese Formula 3 as an engine tuner in 1981. In 1987 the company opened a British factory to produce Formula 3 engines for Europe. They also were F3 chassis manufacturers from 1991 to 1997.
In 1993, TOM'S produced vehicles for the Japanese Formula 3000. In 1994, the firm marked its 20th anniversary with "TOM'S Angel T01", a commemorative model. 1995 saw the lightweight sports car series T101, T082, and T020. In 2003, TOM'S modified vehicles entered the All Japan F3 Championship group of the All Japan GT Championship.
List of TOM'S complete cars
- F070M Celsior (Lexus LS 400/430)
- F070 Celsior (Lexus LS 400/430)
- Z382 Soarer (Lexus SC)
- S741 Majesta
- S630 Aristo
- S740 Athlete
- S970 Athlete
- S972 Estate
- X540 Chaser
- E910 Altezza (Lexus IS 300)
- Toyota Altezza RS200
- Land Cruiser
- H125 Alphard
- W123 (MR-S)
- T020 (MR-2)
- T111 (Corolla AE111 Trueno)
- P050 Vitz
- EP82 Starlet GT Turbo
- Lexus LC (URZ100/GWZ100)
- Supra (J29/DB)
- Supra Tourer (J29/DB)
- Lexus LC500 Convertible
- Lexus GS-F prod.Kazuki Nakajima
- Lexus IS300
- GR Yaris
- GR86 Wide Body
Outside of aftermarket tuning and parts, TOM'S Racing has a long history within the world of motorsport. Since its founding in 1974, TOM'S has continuously stayed involved in automotive racing, as a tuning partner, engine supplier, or racing team, especially with Toyota factory-backed racing teams.
Japanese Formula 3 Championship
TOM'S Racing had a large involvement and repeated success in the now-defunct Japanese Formula 3 Championship. They have won the championship a record 21 times: in 1987, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2018.
TOM'S Racing has been consistently involved in the Super GT racing series, the top level of Japanese sports car racing, since 1995 when it was called the All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship (JGTC). They have raced both Toyota and Lexus silhouette cars. TOM'S has won the GT500 Class Championship six times: in 1997, 1999, 2006, 2008, 2017, and 2021.
24 Hours of LeMans
All Japan Sports Prototype Championship
Macau Grand Prix
Japanese Touring Car Championship
Super Formula Championship
In the top level of Japanese single-seater racing, the Super Formula Championship, TOM'S has won the championship four times: in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2019. Additionally, in its developmental series, Super Formula Lights, TOM'S has won the championship every year since its inception, in 2020, 2021, and 2022.
- "TOM'S SC430 (Wakisaka-Lotterer) Clinch Season Opener". SuperGT.net. 2006-03-19. Archived from the original on 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- "From Japanese F3 we have the Tom's Team, who should never be underestimated". Motorsport.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-07. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "SC50, the Lexus Coupe by TOM'S". Nihon Car.com. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "Tom's套裝避震器 < 汽車知識庫 < 汽車新聞". www.carnews.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "TOM'S——TOYOTA御用改装品牌--汽车频道-中华网". auto.china.com. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "TOM'S CENTURY | TOM'S COMPLETE CAR". TOM'S COMPLETE CAR | 株式会社トムスのコンプリートカー、認定中古車、カスタムパッケージ. 2022-11-09. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "TOM'S SURPA｜TOM'S". www.tomsracing.co.jp. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "TOM'S SUPRA TOURER". TOM'S SUPRA TOURER (in Japanese). Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "TOM'S LEXUS LC500 Convertible". TOM'S LEXUS LC500 Convertible (in Japanese). Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "TOM'S LEXUS GS F prod.Kazuki Nakajima". TOM'S LEXUS GS F prod.Kazuki Nakajima (in Japanese). Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "TOM'S LEXUS IS300 | TOM'S COMPLETE CAR". TOM'S COMPLETE CAR | 株式会社トムスのコンプリートカー、認定中古車、カスタムパッケージ. 2022-11-09. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "TOM'S GR YARIS | TOM'S COMPLETE CAR". TOM'S COMPLETE CAR | 株式会社トムスのコンプリートカー、認定中古車、カスタムパッケージ. 2022-11-09. Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "TOM'S GR86 WIDE BODY". TOM'S GR86 WIDE BODY (in Japanese). Retrieved 2023-01-30.
- "1997 Toyota Tom's Supra GT500 - Images, Specifications and Information". www.ultimatecarpage.com. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- "Company History | Company | TOM'S Global". Retrieved 2022-10-14.