The 1990 Tooheys 1000 was a motor race held on 30 September 1990 at the Mount Panorama Circuit just outside Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia. The event was open to cars eligible under CAMS Group 3A regulations, commonly known as Group A Touring Cars, with three engine capacity classes. It was the 31st running of the "Bathurst 1000".
The race, which was Round 2 of both the 1990 Australian Endurance Championship and the 1990 Australian Manufacturers' Championship, resulted in an upset victory for British driver Win Percy and 1986 Bathurst 1000 winner Allan Grice in a Holden Racing Team entered Holden Commodore over the Dick Johnson Racing Ford Sierra of Jeff Allam and Paul Radisich and the Perkins Engineering Holden Commodore of Larry Perkins and Tomas Mezera.
The race marked the first Bathurst 1000 victory for the Holden Racing Team and the team's first race win since Larry Perkins won the Group A support race at the Australian Grand Prix in November 1988.
Cars competed in three divisions as follows:
Division 1: 3001cc and Over
Division 2: 1601 to 3000cc
Division 3: Up to 1600cc
Division 3 was composed exclusively of various models of Toyota Corolla.
Tooheys Top Ten
|Pole||10||Allan Moffat Enterprises||Klaus Niedzwiedz||Ford Sierra RS500||2:13.94||2:15.00|
|2||17||Shell Ultra Hi Racing||Dick Johnson||Ford Sierra RS500||2:14.17||2:14.26|
|3||05||Mobil 1 Racing||Peter Brock||Ford Sierra RS500||2:14.71||2:14.72|
|4||35||Peter Jackson Racing||Glenn Seton||Ford Sierra RS500||2:15.77||2:14.44|
|5||25||Benson & Hedges Racing||Tony Longhurst||Ford Sierra RS500||2:16.01||2:13.84|
|6||16||Holden Racing Team||Allan Grice||Holden VL Commodore SS Group A SV||2:16.17||2:15.62|
|7||11||Perkins Engineering||Larry Perkins||Holden VL Commodore SS Group A SV||2:17.03||2:14.82|
|8||9||Allan Moffat Enterprises||Gregg Hansford||Ford Sierra RS500||2:17.97||2:15.20|
|9||40||Mark Petch Motorsport||Gianfranco Brancatelli||Ford Sierra RS500||2:23.05||2:15.32|
|10||20||Benson & Hedges Racing||Alan Jones||Ford Sierra RS500||3:21.93||2:13.84|
* After being fastest qualifier by almost half a second, and breaking George Fury's 1984 Hardies Heroes record time of 2:13.85 in the process (by just 0.01 seconds), and with his B&H Sierra the fastest car on Conrod Straight at over 290 km/h (180 mph), Tony Longhurst made a mistake in the shootout and lost over two seconds while teammate Alan Jones suffered gearbox problems on his shootout lap and did not record a time.
* Klaus Niedzwiedz, who was only seven after official qualifying, improved his time by over a second to win his second Top Ten for Allan Moffat Racing after also winning the "for money only" shootout in 1988.
* The Gibson Motorsport Nissan Skyline GT-R of Jim Richards and Mark Skaife, which was expected to take pole, failed to make the Top Ten, being only 0.04 behind the 10th placed Holden Racing Team Commodore of eventual race winners Win Percy and Allan Grice at the end of Friday's qualifying. During the final qualifying session, Richards reportedly matched Longhurst's top speed on Conrod.
* 1990 was the fifth and last time that Allan Grice was the fastest of the Holden Commodore runners in the Top Ten. Previously he had led the Holden charge in 1982 (pole), 1985 (4th), 1986 (2nd) and 1987 (7th).
* V8 Holdens were back in the runoff after missing out in 1989, with the Larry Perkins / Tomas Mezera car, and the Percy/Grice HRT car qualifying over 4 seconds faster than the Commodores had managed 12 months earlier.
- Provisional Pole Position - #25 Tony Longhurst - 2:13.84
- Pole Position - #10 Klaus Niedzwiedz - 2:13.94
- Fastest Lap - #1 Mark Skaife - 2:15.46 (165.12 km/h) - Lap 98 (new lap record)
- Race time of winning car - 6:40:52.64
- Race average of winning car - 149.72 km/h
- Entry List, Official Race Programme, Toohey 1000, Mt. Panorma Bathurst 1990
- Australian Motor Racing Year 1990/91, page 228
- Australian Motor Racing Year 1990/91, page 229
- Clarke, Andrew (1990–91). "Day of the Underdog". The Great Race. Hornsby: Chevron Publishing Group Pty Ltd. 10: 184. ISSN 1031-6124.
Tony Mulvihill had now retired his Commodore courtesy of a disqualification leading from its clutch failure...
- Australian Motor Racing Year 1990/91, page 280
- 1990 Tooheys 1000 Race Results, Tooheys 1000 Official 1991 Programme, page 29